Discussion
mabel
Words in Reading Counts made up test

I was wondering how do you determine how many words a book has without sitting there and counting every single word. When you make a test it ask for how many words. Is there a formula or a site I can go to for the words in the book.

By mabel
Posted on: November 29 2011
Flag this discussion
Share:
3 Comments
  • I use src.scholastic.com.  You type the title in and it will list the number of words, point value, guided reading level and lexile.  Hope that helps.  If I can't find the book there I try Lexile.com.  

If you can't find the word count at the aboven mentioned sites, I take an average page, count the words on 3 average lines, divide by 3, multiply by number of lines on the page, then multiply that by the # of pages in the book.  You can adjust up or down slightly to account for the beginning of chapters where only 1/2 of the page is printed, etc.  It's not perfect, but a valid ball-park total. Debbie

Some online book stores have word counts. 

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next