Discussion
Library Question

Hi, I am confused about how to use the System 44 library.  According to the trainer yesterday we use the library books with our lessons.  For example on Code Lesson 8 in the Teacher's manual it says to use book 1...When I looked at book 1, I don't see how it coincides with the lessons.  The book is a lexile of 240.  PLEASE help me with this...I want to make sure I am using the library the way it's designed to be used.

Thank you!!!!!

Joy

By mrsk
Posted on: October 14 2011
Flag this discussion
Share:
3 Comments
  • Hi Joy, I work for Scholastic in the New York office on the System 44 team and saw your question regarding the student libraries. The library books include phonics and decoding strategies that correlate with and reinforce what students are learning on the software and in small group. I would also suggest using the Teacher Resources to see what each book's instructional focus is and how it relates to the lesson as a whole.  I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions! Alissa

Joy, For lesson 8, what series are you looking at?  If I check the Instructional Overview for Series 1, the 1st SY44 library book students read are books 1 (Bugs that Kill) and 2 (Messy Jobs).  This is on page 100 in my TG.  Library book 8 isn't mentioned until Series 7 (TG p226). Code Lesson 8 does mention an L8 SMART worksheet you can pull from SAM, is this what you are looking at? Let me know if this helps. Debbie

AskDee

Many of the books have Lexiles that are higher than the Lexiles at which your students are reading.  I strongly suggest that you use the audio support for your students.  If you will email me at askdee@sbcglobal.net, I'll send you some support materials to help you with organizing for the multiple readings our System 44 students must do. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next