Discussion
Thoughts about BR 0 Students... and Reading Counts Quizes

This is my second year teaching Read 180.  Last year I had a heck of a time getting students to PASS Reading Counts tests... We finally developed a plan to have the students take a Pre-Test using a printed Reading Counts test, and using it to take the test on the computer.  Our results improved, with a lot of time spent conferencing about the books before the students took the tests.  This year I have added Bood Adventure to the equation.  See www.bookadventure.com ....  This had really helped my students get excited about taking tests AND passing them.  I am able to have the students read books at their independent reading level (BR 0 to 200) AND have success INDEPENDENTLY!!! I am sooo excited!! They are reading more outside of class, and begging to take the Book Adventure quizes during their recess.  I have noticed that their success on Reading Counts tests has improved also, WITHOUT the use of pre-tests and major conferencing.  Now as I reflect on the error of my ways last year, I believe I was pushing my BR 0 students to earn Reading Counts points... and the book selections in my Read 180 library was a little too tough for them.  The students now actually CHOOSE to re-read their in class books, two and three times.... before they take the test on the computer.  It is just a thought I wanted to share.  Any other ideas for my BR 0 students would be greatly appreciated!!! :) 

By jfanson
Posted on: October 24 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
0 Comments
  • Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next