Discussion
Save Spots and N/A grades

I would like to know how you guys found out about the save spots - where did you hear about that? And did anyone ever find out why N/A means on the grade report?? Thank goodness for this message board - but I have to wonder why these things aren't addressed in the training and/or the implementation materials.

Posted on: May 19 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
5 Comments
  • N/As means there isn't any data available for that section in the report. I heard about the save spots from other teachers.

AskDee

Students will receive NAs on the Grading Report because there is no data to report.  You can check the Student Segment Status Report to see why there is not data.  I can think of three reasons why there would not be data to report: The time period is too short.  The Grading Report defaults to the current Grading Period for the time period.  Take a look at the timeframe.  Also, if you run the Grading Report for a short period of time, there may not be any data to report. The student scored 100% on the assessment activity (pre-test) and did not have any study words.  If there are no study words, then there are no words to test in the Challenge activity.  That student really has 100%, but with no data there is nothing to report.  This also tells me that the student may be placed at a Level in READ 180 that is too low. The student is messing around on the computer and not working.  Students are "forced" into Zones that they have not accessed, but they figure out ways to avoid working in those Zones for very long.  If they do not progress to the Challenge, then there are no scores to report. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

AskDee

I just checked with the producer for READ 180 about "save spots."  She reports that every spot is a "save spot" as long as the student exits the program properly.  If the student hits the X in the upper right corner or simply quits the browser, then the data will not be saved.  If the student exits properly, everything will be saved.  This works even in the Writing Zone.  There is a Save button in the Writing Zone, but that is mostly cosmetic to assure the student that the writing is saved from one page to the next. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

mstee1220

I'm entering my 4th year of READ 180 and have no clue what a "save spot" is. Help me out! =)

Save Spots are just common sense stopping points within the READ 180 program.  For instance, if a student logs out in the middle of a spelling activity, the program will only save what they did in that activity through the last completed segment (usually 10 words).  More importantly, students want to always log out of READ 180 by clicking Zone Menu and Quit, NEVER X out because they will lose all data completed that day and their time-on-task will not refelct any time spent that day.  The student would be aasked to repeat what they just did the previous day. I hope this helps. Debbie

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next