Discussion
Special Writing Projects?

Do any of you complete special writing  projects with your students, outside of the Rbook?  Here is the rundown of projects I've completed thus far:

Workshop #3 / Flex / The students wrote alternative endings to "Diamond Land" after completing a character analysis and plot chart.

Workshop #2 / Rbook / The students wrote a tall tale, with an emphasis on the sequence of events, in comic strip form.

I have an excellent idea for a writing project following "Louisa, Please Come Home."

I'd like to hear other ideas from educators.

Posted on: December 07 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
3 Comments
  • AskDee

Have you looked in the Community Resources?  If you do an Advanced Search, you can then select the rBook Flex.  I think you will find writing extensions for every workshop.

I have reviewed all of the READ180 resources, but I was looking for more out of the box kinds of writing projects. Demmy, I'd love to hear about your Workshop #3 project. Here is my idea: Shirley Jackons wrote a beautifully illustrated picture book entitled 9 Magic Wishes. The book is VERY open ended (as are most her works). My idea is to have the students write an ending to the story, in which they find the magic box in the middle of the pond and must make a wish.

What a great way for students to demonstrate mastery of the target skill while leaving the learning to be student centered.  Do you give all students the same assignment, or are their options?   When I assigned the first book project I used the Read 180 materials and gave a choice of 5 (covering a variety of types)   Thanks for the ideas.  I am just now at the end of workshop 2 but I will start to think of a project for 3 and post when I have it.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next