Discussion
reluctant kids

I just started with READ 180.  It not been easy.  The kids were taken out of their Integrated Art classes (art, music or computers) mid grading period and told they were in the class now.  Needless to say they were not happy.  Some of them just will not make the change and someone has to go hunt gather them for class.   It does not help that there are no computers.  It is a City district and I am having trouble connecting with the students.  Does anybody have any suggestions to help with the cultural naivete and connecting with the kids.

By jodieo1
Posted on: November 03 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
5 Comments
  • AskDee

Getting off on the right foot with these students is so important.  I like the idea of exposing the students to the audiobooks.  If you don't have the computers, you at least can use that portion of the technology. I suggest you have personal conferences with each of your students.  If there is a way to get the SRI loaded on computers in a lab and give them the SRI test, you would have the SRI scores as a basis for the conversation.  I've used the Read for Life Report with those reluctant readers. It's good to recognize your own cultural naivete.  I, too, was in that position in my first year of teaching.  I learned that the students would respect me if I respected them.  I had to be firm and keep high expectations for my students.  If I expected them to perform well, they did.  The students needed order and structure, just like every other student I've taught.  Establish procedures and policies early.  Then enforce them.  I called it majoring on the minors.  As long as I had the expectation that students would participate and perform well and I conveyed those expectations to my students, they did. It was so exciting for me 20 years later to turn to my right in one of my graduate courses and see one of my former students from that first year in the class with me.

Some of my students have really become excited about the audiobooks. They are so happy and excited to put on their headphones and continue to read their book. Now these students were not eager readers when they came into class on day 1; so in 2 months they have done a 180 ;) and seem to love to read (or at least listen to ) the novels. I also picked up headphones at the dollar store that are baseball themed with our local team (Phillies); that also makes it exciting to use the cd player. hope this helps! good luck

Hello, I have been in the same situation as you. My students for READ 180 are "pulled" from electives (called exploratory courses) to be placed into READ 180 after the start of the school year. It is hard to deal with this situation because you (the teacher) is automatically the "bad guy" right form the start. It is hard to overcome. I suggest getting to the know the kids interests and find books that will match their interests. Promote the books as if they are the best thing ever. Be excited about the course no matter what the kids try to say about it! I hope that this advice will help you somewhat. It is definitely a challengeing situation!

Starting a program mid-year or mid-MP is tough. I've always had the mind set that the 1st day of school is one of the most important and where you set the tone for the rest of the year. Kids especially, as many adults, are reluctant to changes in their schedules and programs. A couple of things that might help: 1. Use the Read for Life Report in SAM to show students where they are in relation to their life's goals, and 2. show students the READ 180 Student Video (under special features in either the implementation or demo dvds you should have received with your READ 180 training). I have also had many who started out resistant to READ 180, but most come around one they get used to the class. Part of the problem has been that in my HS, READ 180 is the only 90 minute full-week class. However, since our sending-district's middle school has started READ 180 this year, I am hopeful that next year I don't have the same issue. Debbie

AskDee

Debbie is so right about the Read for Life Report.  I've had 8th graders chase me around during a fire drill to have a conference with me in order to get to see theirs.  All of a sudden they realized that reading was important for something--getting their driver's licenses.  Dee

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next