Discussion
Hi interest low reading level books

Hi, I teach 5th and 6th grade special education students. Does anyone know where I can get a list of high interest low level books? I have some beginning readers and don't want to give them books that are not age appropriate.

By mrsk
Posted on: October 29 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
4 Comments
  • The collections Suzzane mentioned are excellent. I have the Level C collections of them in my high school READ 180 classroom. You can also look for a list of titles through the Scholastic Book Wizard. If not available for purchase, you can at least see what titles are available and look elsewhere for them. Does you school subscribe to the Reading Counts Quiz Subscription? For a very reasonable yearly fee, Scholastic sends your school all the quizzes that have been created as well as future monthly quiz collections to add to your READ 180 Server. You can then access a list of those books via SAM. Debbie

SuzannePuccerella

Hi there. We know that it is really hard to find age appropriate Hi-Lo collections, so Scholastic has created a few "xtra" collections for the Stage A classroom. Check out this link - http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/read180/community/shopREAD180.htm For Stage A ther eis the Xtra Fiction & Non-Fiction Collection, the Level 1-2 Collection, Sprint Reading, and Action Book collections. Each of these libraries have high interest low level titles that are age appropriate for upper elementary students. thanks!

AskDee

I like using the Book Expert in SAM as well to develop lists.  Another place that I gone is the Book Finder at www.lexile.com. Without the expanded Reading Counts, you would have to create your own quizzes.  You can use the vocabulary list page and the generic GuickWrite pages in the back of the paperback and audiobook resources books for other accountability.

AskDee

I forgot to mention that somestimes it works well to have students creqte their own quizzes for books when there is not one in the system.  The student creates the quiz, and then the teacher enters the questions in the Quiz Manager.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next