Discussion
Grading Policy?

Does anyone have an example grading policy that I could "beg, borrow and steal"? There's so much to consider, from # of pages read at Independent Reading, to participation, to Computer Station, etc., so I'd appreciate any input, or a model to follow. Thanks in advance! -K. Howard

Posted on: October 16 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
4 Comments
  • thanks for the links, they are very helpful; my school grading policy is 80% assessment, 10% participation, and 10% homework. So I must follow that; I give a grade for all computer work since it is on the student's level; At reading station I could the reflection questions and read counts quiz as an assessment grade but the graphic organizer as a participation grade; then writing assignments are graded too.

Hi Katie, Dee posted a grading policy in the resources. You can follow this link: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/uploads/381/621/Grading.doc or search the Resource Library for "Grading" I do something similar to what Dee recommends with my high school Read 180 classes, but I am a bit more strict as it helps to keep my high school freshmen on track and serious about learning. For example, In independent reading, I require students read a specific number of book points a marking period (audio book points are doubled to compensate for the longer time they take to complete). First marking period, I require 10-12 points, and 2nd. 3rd, and 4th marking periods I require 15-17 points. Students earn extra credit if they read more. Of course, to earn credit, they have to complete the graphic organizer, quick writes, reading logs, book project, and pass the book quiz. On computers, I get grades from the Reading Report, Time on Task Report, and Student Segment Status Report, all in SAM. If you'd like more specific information, please email me. Debbie dleeohs@hotmail.com

profile photo

I hope this bumps up this discussion. This will be my 7th year teaching Read 180 and my first with System 44. The grading policy that has worked for me in the past is that I require a certain number of Reading Counts points each quarter. I start with 15 and work up to 20 by the second quarter. They have to have done the paperwork and had that approved, or I delete the test and they have to take it again. For some students, I don't require as many points. For the computer rotation, I use the Student reading report. I find I need to assign a number of segments, or kids will take too much time viewing and reviewing videos and generally messing around. Knowing they have to finish a topic every two weeks often motivates them to stay on-task. I use the Student Reading Report and the pecentages they got in Comp, Vocab and on the Success Zone as thei grade. For a quarter, every 5 RC points is a separate assignment worth 100 points. The comprehension and vocabulary are worth 30 points each and the success zome is worth 40, so it adds up to 100 and is equal to the reading points. I haven't graded small group, but feel like I need to to keep them focussed. I'll p[robably give them points each day they participate without disruptions. Every two or three weeks (depending on our schedule) I have a Conference Day. Students who are caught up can take time to play games. Students who are behind have time to catch up while I sit down with each and every kid and we get to talk one-on-one about how they're doing. I use the Student Reading Report for this. It really helps me keep tabs on how they're all doing. They'll often say things then that they wouldn't in small group. Kids work hard to earn their points for Conference Day! I'm working with a book called R5 in Your Classroom which is causing me to rethink some of my grading policies, but I don't think I'll stray too far, so I can give these kids structure and incentive.

This is very useful information for me. Thank you very much for the link!

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next