Discussion
READ 180 Rotation Timer

You may be interested in a 20-minute power point timer that I just added to the Resource Library.  You can search Resources  for 20-Minute Timer, or follow this link:

http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=resource_library_home&tab1=newest

I found this on line a couple of years ago, but just this year have had the technology in place to use it.  What a difference it makes in my classroom!  Students are more focused because they know how much time they have left at an easy glance.  There are also audio and visual reminders when it is time to complete their reading logs (@ 2 min.) and computer log (@ 1 min.).  Then, students have 1 minute of music to transition from one rotation to another.  You can add your own music clips as well.   I have it set to loop, so I don't have to worry about restarting it.

Debbie

Posted on: October 01 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
5 Comments
  • One READ 180 teachers in the district constructed a timer that was the size of a piece of poster board and made a three armed clock.  I think the hands are one piece.  The kids can see it from anywhere in the room and he just has to set it once and it goes for the class period.  I will try to post a picture. 

I'd love to see that! Debbie

I found a great picture of it, but it is part of a power point presentation and I am still trying to figure out how to get a copy of just one slide.  Every time I see the picture I think "How cool is that.  I want one!"  I am running out of space in my classroom so I am trying wait until  summer to make it.  I am crafty , but I am trying to get my hubby to help make it out of something more sturdy than foam core.  I am working on the picture and will post it as soon as possible.

I can't get the image to load as a picture so I loaded it as a resource.   search for  "timer"

Can't wait to see this.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next