Discussion
Grading

Our school requires we give letter grades for Read 180. I'm looking for different ways to grade work done to compute for a letter grade. Any suggestions?

Posted on: September 22 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
6 Comments
  •  >In my high school READ 180 classroom, 25% of my students' grades come from the computer.  5% is their daily participation (behaviors like wearing their headphones, no talking, transitioning, etc.) and their Time-on-Task (READ 180 SAM Report, which I pull weekly using the "custom" setting Sat. - Friday b/c you need at least 7 calendar days for the report to open.  >The remaining 20% is their actual work on the computer.  There are a couple of reports you could use: the Segment Status Report and Grading Report (? not sure of this name) both will give you their comprehension, vocab, word, and spelling grades.  >I grade the Computer Success Zone as a Test, which is the biggest chunk of this grade.  You can get the Discrepancy and Context Passage scores off the bottom of the Student Segment Status Report, but you have to pull those grades before they start anothwer Success Zone or they are averaged together.  For the Fluency grade, I have assigned a percentage grade to each fluency level beginning with a 70 (our lowest passing grade) up to a 100 for the highest fluency grade.  If my high school students try to "blow-off" the fluency, I will grade lower, but they usually only try that once (they don't really believe I can hear them .  >I find that by grading their work on the computer, they take it more seriously.  I do have a 1/2 page form that I use to grade the Success Zone that includes Fluency expectations to check off as I listen.  After putting the grade in my gradebook, I give this to students and discuss their progress.  I would attach the form here, but at this point it is not an option.  Let me know if you'd like a copy.  ~ Except for the 1st Success Zone, students can complete each computer segment in 5-10 days.  Therefore, I expect my students to complete a minimum of 4 success zones a MP (except 1st MP).   I track their Success Zones on a wall chart, filling in a box for each one completed, and those that receive a passing Success Zone Test Grade (70+ in my school) have a star added.  The goal is to get all stars. Debbie

AskDee

The "Grading Thoughts" paper is now available in the Resources.  Just search using the word "grading," and the "Thoughts on Grades" will pop up as a choice. Please keep on posting how you are grading.  This helps all of us.

My colleagues and I use accountability logs in the computer and independent reading areas.  For the computer log, they are required to write down three spelling words, three words from the word zone, and a comprehension question along with the amount of time they were logged into the program.  For the reading log, they write the number of pages they read along with the number of pages.  We collect these at the end of the each week.  I assign five points per day.  This is a way for me to assign a concrete grade as they are working towards the larger assignments.  Also, by requiring this piece students are more likely to remain on-task.

AskDee

I just posted a resource about grading that includes a compilation of thoughts about grading.  When it becomes available, I'll let you all know how to find it.   I've learned that teachers have to use what works best for them and their students.  I like to remember that the computer is about 22% of the time in READ 180 while whole group, small group, and wrap-up constitute over half of the time.  I'd like to hear what all of you are doing in this area.  

amzahn

I grade by doing the following: rBook pages-Pages that we work on together, are considered a participation grade. Pages they work on independently are classwork grades. The Functional Literacy and Comprehension and Vocabulary Quizzes are scored as Test/Quiz grades. Software Zone-I have a specific category titled READ 180 Software Usage that is worth 25% of their grade. Every week I set up four grades in the gradebook-Software Total; Reading Zone; Word Zone; Spelling Zone. I determine how many minutes should be spent (we are on a modified schedule and average 34 minutes per week on computer) then divide that number by three. So it looks like this: Software Total-34pts; Reading Zone-11pts; Word Zone-11pts; Spelling Zone-11pts. This keeps the kids from staying in one zone too long. If they close a zone they automatically receive the 11 points for that zone. This has worked quite nicely to keep the kids moving through the zones. Independent Reading-this is a classwork grade and they can earn up to 10pts for Quickwrites and 10pts for Graphic Organizers. They also receive their reading counts quiz grades for this. rSkills tests are test grades.  

My school uses Power Grade. So I group the students' grades into four categories. Practice, Homework, Test and Check-ups.   1. LESSON PRACTICE and HOMEWORK GRADES include the Scholastic rBOOK workbook assignments, supplemental grammar and reading worksheets, anchor video graphic organizers, DWA and ISAT practice assignments, topic scores on the Read 180 software program (I take these straight from SAM and update in Power Grade each 3 weeks.  I keep the same assignment name and just replace their previous scores with their current scores.), vocabulary practice, daily reading log and writing journal activities. (Homework is any activity that they did not finish during class.  They can come in before or after school if they need to make up time on the computer.) 2. TEST GRADES are taken from end of chapter tests in the rBOOK, computerized reading mastery tests after every two workshops (rskills test), Reading Counts!  book tests, vocabulary tests, end of topic assessments on the Read 180 software program and Reading Counts! Final Projects. 3. RECURRING THREE WEEK CHECK-UPS: Completion of one Read 180 software topic Success Zone, appropriate time on task activity in the Read 180 software program (based on 100% of the class time allotted for that grading period), Level C Reading Counts! point goal (individualized), and reading folder check.   4. END OF TERM/END OF YEAR FINAL - Lexile goal growth (individualized) , Reading Counts goal (individualized), and passes the state test.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next