Discussion
AskDee
Response to Intervention (RTI)

How are you using READ 180 in your current structure for RTI?

By AskDee
Posted on: August 10 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
3 Comments
  • Hi, In responsed as to how I am using READ 180 in our current structure for RTI... during the component of Differentiated Instruction I bring in elements of Orton Gillingham. This direct instruction of specific phonic elements and areas within structural analysis has been of great support to my students. Also during Differentiated Instruction we do a bit of writing going further using the rbook as a springboard.

I meet with the gen ed teachers and together we plan out the year's literacy units in gen ed. When we are done, I then plan out my Read 180 units based on the learning targets addressed at the time when each gen ed unit is being instructed. In that way, we are connected and the language is the same for students in both classes. For example, if teachers in gen ed are working on story elements or summarizing, I choose the unit in the rbook that best fits that critera, without skipping too far ahead. I am currently using the Flex Book.

Currently, there is some debate in my building about how READ 180 should be used for RTI and who should be teaching it. This year we have used RTI as an Tier 3 class and both gen ed and special edu studnets have been mixed in the class. I have found this structure to work well and be effective, however, for planning of next year, there is controversy whether or not this is effective for spec. ed. The data supports the results but conflict is with who should teach the class a gen ed reading teacher or spec. edu teacher. I am a special edu teacher and am looking for informed repsonse regarding certification requirements for teaching REAd 180.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next