Discussion
mabel
Class Schedule

I was wondering if anyone has the same set up as I do for schedule and how do you handle the last two periods.

1/2 period I have a mixed 7th and 8th grade class

3/4 period I have a pure 7th grade class

5th period pure 8th

lunch

6th period my pure 8th comes back to me

My issue is that the 30 minute break makes it difficult to get them back on track. If you have this issue how do you recover your rotations quickly. My other classes the exchange of classes is 5 minutes and I have no problem getting them back on track at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By mabel
Posted on: November 03 2013
Flag this discussion
Share:
4 Comments
  • AskDee

Though I have not had this schedule, I have observed something simllar.  Before I answer, I would need to know how long a period is and how many 7th graders you have and how many 8th graders you have. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

mabel

My class is half and half with students. I have 47 kids. The classes are 49 minutes.

AskDee

Your're not going to believe how I read your message the firs time.  I thought you had 7th graders coming together for part of the time and 8th graders for part of the time and a mixed class of those same students.  You can tell I've seen some strange scheduling in my many school visits. I've seen this done where the teacher had the students return to complete the current rotation, but I thought that created a bit of chaos.  I'd think you might use the 9 minutes to your advantage.  I'd teach the 20-minute Whole Group and 20-minute first rotation.  I'd use the extra 9 minutes for a closing activitiy of my choice depending upon what the sudents need.  I've seen a teacher use extra minutes like that in a middle school for a read aloud of a book the general education students were reading in their Language Arts class.  Another teacher read aloud the book her students were reading themselves to give them a leg up in class because they had Language Arts as well as READ 180. For the last 49 minutes, I'd begin with the rotations.  I wouldn't allow any dillydallying upon the return.  You might have to incentivize a quick return to work.  Then I'd use the last 9 minutes for my regular Wrap-up. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

I have often had a group that split for lunch. We did whole group and one rotation before going to lunch, and then we resumed the other 2 rotations upon return. (50 min. periods) I was prepared at the door, reminding them which group was going where. With a little classroom management, we had few issues. However, lunch is the key. If we did have an issue, I would start adding minutes to the board, and they had to serve those minutes in class the next day before they could leave to lunch! If it was just a couple students, I would write their names next to the minutes, so as not to punish the whole class.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next