Discussion
jkozlowski
Accountability Ideas for IR

This is my third year teaching Read 180 in 8th grade and I am looking for some new ideas to help increase accoutability and motivation in the independent reading rotation...does anybody have any suggestions? I already require my students to do a daily reading log and complete graphic organizers/quickwrites before they take an SRC quiz. I tried page goals last year, but it turned out to be too difficult. I had read about making a "points" goal for each student that they would be required to fulfill each marking period, but I'm trying to think of the most efficient way of doing this. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Posted on: August 09 2012
Flag this discussion
Share:
17 Comments
  • Do either of you allow students to abandon books?  If you do, could you tell me a bit about how you handle that?  Also, when do your students complete their graphic organizers/quick writes?  If they work on them during IR rotation, are they still required to read a certain amount of minutes too?

Hi Janey, Lasy year was the first year Iswitched successfully to pages-per-day and once we figured out how to mange it, by keeping a master calendar with the due dates penciled in, it worked well and we will be doing the same this year.  On the other hand, the points worked well for 4 years, but I just didn't think that the students were reading as much as they were capable of.  Those that could read more, tended to take advantage and slowed down their reading.  With the 10-pages a day, everyone seemed to read more.  Of course, there is always a few students who just cannot handle reading 10 pages a day, and for those, we modified their requirement as needed.  When I tried the pages per day in an earlier year, it did not go well because we did not plot out when each student should be finished.  All we focused on was whether they read their 10 pages a day, and it became a nightmare to keep track of.  Having the master calendar of due dates made all the difference, and I think having the student due dates calendar will work even better. So to answer your question, as long as you have it well organized and thought out, either will work.  Its all in the organization! DEBBIE

Janey, Yes, this worked very well for me last year.  It was effective, as you can see by my blog.  To fairly determine due dates, we have a master school calendar including all days off as well as the end of MP due dates.  I want all books finished 3-5 days before the end of a MP so students have time to take the book quiz and finish any other book work.  If someone finishes early, they could complete an eRead, a book project, or prepare for a book talk.  No books may run into the next MP, unless they finished their last book just before the MP ended and started a new book early.   We take the number of pages and divide it by 10 (pages to be read per day), so a 237 page book would take, at most, 24 school days to read.  If a student is absent, it is their responsibility to take the book home to catch up.  If they were off task during reading, it is their responsibility to get caught up.  We count out the number of school days on the calendar to determine the day they should be finished.  Many of my students finished early.  A couple dragged it out, and then played catch-up reading at home and during study hall.  I think having the large MP calendar student display will be even more effective this year. Margy,  Students have 1 day to complete each aditional book component, like the GO, QW, and Quiz. (Instead of QW, I assign 2-3 open-ended mostly text-dependent paragraph reponses; students have 1 day to complete each OEQ).  So my due dates are just for reading and the reading logs, then once they are finished reading, they would have additional days to complete the other components.  I also encourage students who  have read their 10 pages but still have time in the rotation to work on their GO (and QW if using them). I hope this helps! Debbie  

There really is not much of a change from EE to NG as far as the rBook goes.  There is more writing in NG rBook.  There are also new paperbooks in NG.

jkozlowski

Thanks so much for the information, Debbie...this is a huge help! Just out of curiousity...which system do you feel is more manageable? Points or 10-pages a day? Do you believe that same system is just as effective/motivating for students?   Thanks again for your input.   Janey   **I just saw your blog on this topic...those results are incredible! This helped to answer my question...I like the idea of setting due dates and can see how that would be motivating for students. Do you feel as though this is truly the most effective way to manage the IR rotation? Also, how did you fairly determine "due dates"? Did you use the 10 page/day goal as a guide? And then just take individual student tendencies and breaks into account?

jkozlowski

Debbie,   Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I bought a large magentic, whiteboard calendar to place in the back of my classroom today and intend on trying your page system with the marking period calendar as you described, and to use the book points as a motivation and reward system.   I've seen some of your posts about Next Generation...my district just purchased the Next Gen upgrade, however, we will not receive our materials until the end of the month. I am trying to plan for the beginning of the year and am just curious about 2 things...   1) The students that I have this year had Read 180 in 7th grade and completed Workshops 1-4 in the Enterprise Edition....would you recommend starting them off with Workshop 5 in Next Generation? Are there any beginning of the year projects/activities/mini-lessons that you have completed with your 9th grade class that you have found especially helpful and engaging?   2) What are the major differences between Enterprise Edition and Next Generation? Anything that I should be aware of at this point in the summer in planning for the very beginning of the year? (My district is sending us for training in early September, but I'd like to be a little more ahead of things)   Thanks as always for the time and consideration that you take in responding. This Read 180 community has proven to be an invaluable resource for me!   Janey

jkozlowski

Debbie - How did you enter your grades into your gradebook for your book unit grades? I only have the ability to create whole class assignments, so in the past, I've run into problems when I've tried to enter SRC quiz grades individually when some student read more than others. Do you have a set amount of points that you make "book units" worth in your gradebook that you enter in as one assignment?

jkozlowski

Thank you, Debbie. I am going to try this this year and see how it works out. I'll let you know!   Thanks again.   Janey

Debbie, I like the idea of a calendar of assigned reading, but what happens when you only see your students every other day, like me??  Should I assign them 2 days of reading?  This would mean I would have to send books home.

Whether you can send books home is up to you and your school, but in my class, absolutely I would send books home and require 20 min. of reading as homework.   Research shows students should be reading 20-30 minutes a day anyways, and those that don't read as well as their reading peers.  At a workshop by MetaMetrix (Lexile.com), they provided an interesting fact about summer slide.  By 5th grade, students who do not read during the summer can be behind in reading by 2.5 years!  This slide is cumulative, so if students continue to not read, they will fall even further behind.  I think that's a pretty powerful reason to send books home (or assign other at home reading such as eReads). Debbie

Hi!  I have used point goals for several years.  SAM does all the work as each book already is assigned a point total based on the number of words and Lexile.  Last year, I tried requiring students to read 10 pages a day and this also worked well.  The key we found was to plot out the pages on a calendar and giving students a date when they should be finished reading the book.  We also encouraged them to finish reading early, but it was not required.  Check out my Lessons Learned Blog on this topic: http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/_Lessons-Learned/blog/5816635/104512.html When I required points, I would keep a chart of students' book points and put a marker to show the minimum points they need to read that MP.  As they finished a book, I would fill in the points on the large incentive chart with a marker, creating a bar graph of their book points.  If students read more that the required points, they earned extra credit as an incentive to keep them reading.  Each MP I adjusted the point requirement, usually up from MP1 to MP 2 and 3, and down for MP4.  The points that worked best for me starting MP2 were Level 1: 12 book points, Level 2: 14 book points, Level 3: 15, and Level 4: 16.  For MP1, as we lost time at the beginning of the year, I started 2 book points lower for each level.  I post the charts on my Success Wall - see a photo: http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/_Computer-Station-38-Success-Wall/photo/8750853/104512.html As for my classes ths year, I will use the 10 pages a day read, but as Celene, a teacher in my district suggested, I am creating a large MP calendar with students' names included on the date they should be finished reading, and then when the book should be completed (quiz, GO, QW), generally 3-5 days later.  I always kept track of it, but really like the large visual Celene uses for students.  She has students place their own marker on the calendar, giving them ownership and a visual reference for where they are on the calendar. Either way you choose will work. Debbie  

Janey, I've added them in 2 ways.  When I used a point requirement, I would preload my gradebook with 1st Book Pt, 2nd Book Pt, 3rd Book Pt, up through the maximum required for Level 4 students.  Then, for lower level students, I would exempt them from those book points that did not apply to them (I have the ability to exempt students as needed in my gradebook). This past year, I simplified my gradebook and just added 1st Book Unit, 2nd Book Unit, etc.  If I have a student reading 5 books, and another reading 8, at the end of the MP I exempted students for those book units that did not apply to them.   Other than a small on task grade, the book units make up the majority of the 25% IR is weighted.   Another option would be to just enter one Book Units grade and then adjust it each time a student finishes a book unit by averaging all of a student's book unit grades together for one average grade. I hope this makes sense and is helpful! Debbie

jkozlowski

Hi Debbie,   Thanks so much for your reply. This is very helpful. Last year, I entered one assignment grade as a Reading Counts Quiz Average, but I think parents (and students) appreciate being able to see grades on each individual book unit.   Did you wait until the end to grade reading logs for the entire book? Or did you grade reading logs daily? Thanks again for all of your help. I've tried a bunch of things in the past 2 years to improve accountability in my IR zone, but I feel like there is still much to be improved. Your suggestions and and answers are a great help!

Thank you.  I am always looking for ways to improve accountability - thus the reading calendar BB I am trying this year (mentioned in a posting above).   I spot check the reading logs weekly for a minor completion grade, and when needed, daily before students are allowed to leave class if they have not been completing them.  As students hate being kept from leaving at the bell, when I start the daily check, it brings them back in line.  The 2 links below are for my related blog and my most current resources for students' rotation folders.  With these, I find its easy to do a spot check when students come up to small group.  Reading logs are also part of their book unit grade. http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=2362 http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/_Stage-C-Blog-New-School-Year-Resolution/blog/5732193/104512.html Debbie

jkozlowski

Thank you tclark! Debbie - I have a few questions about the SZ and WZ ticket that you use to hold your students accountable during the software rotation...do you adjust the settings so that your students have to complete a writing zone with every segment? Who writes the students' scores down for the discrepancy passage and context passage? Do you train your students to do this while they are completing the success zone? Also, do you go on and grade the fluency recordings after the students have handed their tickets in? I'm just trying to make this as efficient as possible...   Thanks as always for your help!

Janey, Yes, I have students complete the Writing Zone every segment.   Discrepancy Passage: The students write it down, but they are not always truthful, so I double check using 2 reports in SAM. READ 180 Student Segment Status Report (SSSR) SHOULD give this information for the last completed DP; however, it did not work correctly LY.   I spoke with Ted and Lee at NSI and they think it's fixed, but I won't know for sure until I check it.     The other report that IS accurate is the READ 180 Student Diagnostic Report in the SZ Reading Fluency section (you can see this via the pull-down menu at the bottom of the report's SAM screen). You may need to adjust the Time Period as the report shows all DP scores for the report's time period.  Last year, this was what I used as the SSSR was not reporting correctly. The Context Passage can come from the SSSR (their 1st responses are scored) or the R180 Student Reading Report which shows a student's progress on the software by READ 180 segment (shows a student's final Context Passage score after corrections). I also use the Student Reading Report for their segment comprehension and vocabulary (M/C Quick Checks) scores that I include in my gradebook.  These are their first try correct responses. Fluency: Once a student has turned in their SZ Ticket (after completing the SZ and WZ), I then pull the above grades from SAM and listen to/grade their fluency recordings.  I can usually whip through these at the end of the day in 10-20 minutes depending on the number of SZ Tickets that have accumulated, but I try to complete them at least twice a week.  To make grading them more efficient, I print the SZ Tickets on green paper and students turn them in to the green SZ basket.  The color coding helps us all. Writing Zone: I prefer to print this as I can write on the printed copy and return it to stuents with the SZ Ticket.  Unfortunately, I am not very disciplined about going back in to score the WZ in SAM.  Sometimes I assign these WZ passages to be rewritten for HW. As far as what students complete - they only what is NOT grayed out on the SZ Ticket.  The grayed areas are for the teacher (life skills experience as most applications and forms ahve sections grayed out for someone else to complete)   The above and students' Time-on-Task are the only grades I use for the Computer Rotation.  For Time-on-Task, to get a 100% for the week they have to have X minutes for every day they were in class.  I start with 16 minutes/day and increase it to 18 after MP1, so a student present all week should have 80 minutes T-o-T, and a student absent 2 days should have at least 48 minutes.  if less, I divide their actual time by what they should have to get a percentage grade, i.e. 31/48 = 64% I have a Smartboard and it really helps to put the Time-on-Task Report up on the screen to show where students are for the week and where they should be (I write the time they should have on the board).  This helps them to refocus.  For this, you just need to adjust the beginning time period, but leave the ending as the report wants more than 7 days. I hope this helps answer your questions. Debbie

mabel

I have my students choose their books. When they do that we sit down and look at how many pages are in the book. We divide that by 6 pages the minimum in my class for the IR section, and we count days on the calendar. They are given a grace period of one day to finish Quickwrites and Graphic Organizer. If they are absent we add a day to the due date. I do tell the students for however many days they finish I will give them a Best ticket, which is what are school uses for students to purchase school supplies, drawings, etc. It worked great for me. Some of my second year READ 180 students read more last year than they did the year before. It was the best thing I could of done.    

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next