Discussion
mabel
Nooks

I was wondering if there is anyone else in READ 180 using Nooks. I would like to maybe borrow from one another books on the Nooks. It is from my understanding that if others have Nooks you can share books or lend them. If you are interested please let me know. I have several lend me books.

By mabel
Posted on: May 15 2012
Flag this discussion
Share:
11 Comments
  • mabel

I just received them late March early April. The students that have read the most books I let them experiment with them first. I had a great response to having them in the room. I have four in my room, so at least 12 kids in a class get to touch a nook in one block period. My students have the quickwrites that I found off of the resource page that was set up as a generic quickwrite. They love sitting and reading the book. I have several books and the kids are enjoying them. If you would like to see which ones I have for lend, I would be more than happy to let you borrow them.    

My students are also loving the eReaders.  I use Amazon Kindles in my classroom and you can read more about that on my Kindle Power Blog: http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/_Kindle-Power/blog/5899611/104512.html Debbie

I don't think it matters, both companies are good.  I chose Kindle because I shop with Amazon and have their Amazon Prime for free shipping.  Plus, I live in a more remote area without a Barns & Noble.  From what I'm reading here about the Nook, it sounds like the policies are similar for linking Nooks or Kindles to one account and lending books.  

AskDee

Debbie Lee is working with ereaders with her students. 

Hi! I have Nooks that I use in my READ 180 class. Presently, I only have two that the students are allowed to use after they reach the goal for the marking period. It is a great motivational tool. I have various different the students have expressed an interest in being able to read. I would like to be able to purchase a couple more, but like most districts, money is tight. How do you incorporate the Nooks in your class?

mabel

I was so unsure on which on to get. I hate when there are so many options. It makes it so hard to decide which e reader to choose.

Mabel, I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Thanks

mabel

I will have to check which books I have. I am currently trying to get more,but I will make a list of them. What grade do you teach.    

Mabel,I would love to know which books you have. Thank you for the offer. We are in the midst of state testing and I haven't had as much time to be online or reading much of anything. My kids are doing well though. One of my System 44 students passed her state reading test. I was so proud of her...I was jumping for joy. Reading has been a true struggle for her. Thanks, Mary

mabel

Sorry, I didn't realize I had not replied. I teach 7th and 8th graders. I was lucky to get 250.00 donation for books for the Nook. I will be purchasing books in the next few weeks. Not sure which ones, but can't wait to put them on the Nook. I will let you know which books I have. 

cblount

Rather than going with a Nook or Kindle, a Samsung Tablet would be more versitile. The 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab is under $200. You can have a Kindle app AND a Nook app and be able to access both avenues for books. You can also access Google books and a variety of other e books. Additionally, public libraries now have e books which can be signed out (accessed through your tablet) if a student has a public library card. Just some food for thought.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next