Discussion
Hunger Games SRC quizzes

Does anyone have the SRC quiz for the Hunger Games books?  We don't have them and I would really like to offer them to my 8th graders.

By tclark
Posted on: April 12 2012
Flag this discussion
Share:
13 Comments
  • AskDee

You might want to reach out to charity.kinneer.  She has posted about the Hunger Games and has written a blog post about teaching the book at http://www.gpb.org/blogs/passion-for-learning/2012/03/19/teaching-the-hunger-games. 

AskDee

I thought maybe she had created a quiz since she was working on a unit.  Hopefully, she'll see these posts and let us know.

charity.kinneer

I'm just now seeing this post!!!  I think there is actually a Read180 quiz for the book.  I will double check and let you know.  If not, I do have one that I can easily send.  The thematic unit was definitely worth the money!!!!! 

mabel

I just had a student read all three books. I was able to get test made for them. I know I put them on our server. I am not sure how the server works.    

AskDee

If you would make PDFs of your quizzes and then post them to the resources, that would be helpful to the other teachers.  Let us know on this discussion group that they are posted.  If you need help posting them, let me know.  My email is askdee@sbcglobal.net. To print quizzes: Open SAM. Select the Books tab. Select Scholastic Reading Counts! Quiz Manager. In the Advanced Search, enter a portion of the title of the book or the author. Click on Search. In the Search Results window that appears, put a checkmark next to the book quiz you wish to print. Click on the View Custom List button at the bottom left of the window. In the Print/Export Custom List box at the bottom, click on the underlined Print Quiz and Answer Key. Select the number of questions you would like to print. Click on the Preview button and the quiz will generate in PDF format. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

I looked up the quiz on the SRC website and it gave me the number of words, Lexile, grade level.  I typed all the information in when I was entering my own teacher quiz and it only gave me 15 points instead of 23.

AskDee

Thank you, Charity, for responding.  Your experience with Hunger Games will be helpful for all of us.

AskDee

The point system for Reading Counts is based upon an algorithm of interest level (grade range) and length of book (number of words).  Points really have nothing to do with Lexiles. They are created to reward effort. I have let the product manager for Reading Counts know about the discrepancy in the points.  Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

I read her blog and visited the website where she purchased the awesome thematic unit.  I just don't know about spending $25 for it.  I does look very cool.  All I need is the quiz and I can't seem to find where to buy it so I was looking for someone who already had it.

MrsB

I had students write quiz questions for me for the entire Hunger Games series. You can add teacher-made quizzes under the Quiz Manager tabs, and I had students who had read the books write sets of ten multiple-choice questions for me, and then edited and put them in. We've also done this for several other outside books students have wanted to read but we don't have the quiz for. I also give the students who write the quizzes double the points they would normally get for just taking the quiz. You can go to this website (http://src.scholastic.com/ecatalog/default.asp?UID=1DAEA3D7881B4F30B588005E244C880D&subt=0&Test=NA) to look up the points for the books and the reading level and other info you will have to put in on the title page for the quiz.

I use Book Adventure to find quiz questions for books.  I think you have to register (free) to see quizzes, and it gives the answers.  Here is a link to the quiz for Hunger Games:  http://www.bookadventure.com/quiz_o_matic/quiz.aspx.  Hopefully it works.  I use http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_home.asp (Renaissance Learning website) to find some of the items you need to complete, like GRL, and http://www.hopehawks.com/reading.php?searchField=Book%20Title&searchCriteria=contains&searchText=&sortBy=Book%20Title&perPage=200&pg=16 to find word counts for books.  I then enter my own quiz in SRC.

I believe that points are calculated on text complexity, not just words read and lexile.  If you click calculate after adding a teacher made test, the numbers almost never match up with the points given in SRC.  I typed in the information from the book wizard and then clicked calculate just to see if the points were  the same.  I don't think they have ever been. The calculated points are usually lower. I always use the points given in the Book Tab of SAM.

AskDee

That is strange that you received the wrong number of points for the quiz.  I'll let the SRC product manager know about this. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next