Discussion
SRI Testing

At our building we take the SRI test 4 times a year.  This year we have been told that if a student's score goes down 60 points or more, they can retest.  In a school of 800, there are many students that are re-testing each SRI and I'm just wondering if this really should be done? It seems that this is messing with the validity of the test. Thoughts??

Posted on: March 20 2012
Flag this discussion
Share:
4 Comments
  • My district has a similar policy.  I only retest if I think the score is not indicative of the effort the student has put into the program.  I conference with the kids before they test again.  I have one guy who used the retesting policy as a crutch.  He assumed he would be able to retest and he was not focused.  When his score went down he asked for a second test.  We talked and  I told him that, from what I have seen of his effort , I thought the score was accurate and for that reason there was not retest.   He was not pleased-nor was I!  I am hoping that the next SRI makes up for the loss.  I think if retesting is over used the validity of the test would be compromised.  Yet at the same time, there is a time when retesting is appropriate.  I always retest during my planning time-away from classmates and other distractions.  I am not sure if any of that made sense.

I also test 5 times each year.  I use the end of each MP to give extra credit grade points for SRI improvement, which helps keep students focused and motivated. Debbie

AskDee

The Placement, Assessment, and Reporting Guide for Next Generation indicates that students scoring 60L or more below their last SRI test are candidates for re-testing.  Always delete the "bad" test before re-testing those students. The Best Practices Guide for the SRI suggests that it be given hree to four times a year.  Some districts give the test five times--once at the beginning of the year and then at the end of every quarter. If you would like an electronic copy of the Best Practices Guide for the SRI, send me an email at askdee@sbcglobal.net.  I'll be glad to send one your way. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Is there a limit to how many times a student can take the SRI in a given school year?  I usually do it at the end of each marking period, but just remembered I did an initial test.  Therefore, students would take it 5 times this year.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next