Discussion
Next Generation Discuss Thread

Is anyone else excited about The Next Generation as I am???!!!  The changes are absolutely thrilling. Thank you, Scholastic!

Posted on: March 09 2011
Flag this discussion
Share:
23 Comments
  • AskDee

I've been in training for Next Gen.  You all are right!  It's going to have wonderful changes.  If you are going to Next Gen, be sure you don't double order those rBooks.  The rSkills Tests are going to move from every other workshop to every workshop.  Those results are going to be included in the new Groupinator. I'll check on the purchase of the TM and anchor video for Flex II.  I bet you are right because I think the TM and anchor video for the rBook itself comes with the conversion.  I'll get back to you. Dee Ask Dee at the REAd 180 Community

www.read180.com/nextgeneration Password: dashboard

AskDee

My understanding is that you will receive 30 or 60 Stage rBooks (depending upon the size of the stage that your school has purchased).  I understand that if you want the Flex or Flex II, that would be an additional purchase.  Debbie, is that what you mean?  I am double checking this to make certain how this will work. Dee  

From what I understood, the next generation is the newest "version".  There will be new rbooks and more topics for the computer software.  I am excited that it will be web-based, so we won't have to worry about downloading it on the computers.  The dashboard tool seems like it will be very helpful.  My school district just purchased it and I can't for it to come out.

Hi Dee,  Since you are training inn Next Gen, perhaps you can clear up a couple of questions for me.  Is the Next Gen rBook all new, or is the Flex II (as was implied by a previous poster to this thread) being used for Stage C?  Will there be a new LBook for the Next Gen rBook? To add to Next Gen's changes, I've been told that the rBook is going to include multi-paragraph writing from workshop 4 on, and the topic software will include a Writing Zone that students access after the Success Zone.  I love the added focus on writing.  Those rSkills Tests after every workshop instead of every 2 will also be great. The Next Gen SAM looks awesome, too!  Lesson plans with standards, the groupinator that organizes your groups and tell the teacher what skills each group needs added instruction, emailed SAM reports, etc.  Scholastic is also offering great prices on the upgrade (by 5/31), which comes with rBooks and additional titles of READ 180 library books.

No.  The upgrade to Next Gen is $8000 for upgrading 60 licenses.  With that, you get 60 Stage C (or A or B) rBooks, the Teacher Ed, plus 20 more books for your library.  I imagine the anchor video is also included, but as that is also available via ITS, may be not.  Also, since the reading in the Stage A,B,and C rbooks remains the same, a new Anchor Video may not be needed.  The only additional expense would be for the Stage B or C LBooks (I don't think they are available in Stage A, right?). Flex I or II books are an added cost as the upgrade only comes with Stage A, B, or C.FlexII rBook to add a second year level of books to the program.  Kaywyn, Does this help?  Suzanne or Dee - Am I correct?  (Did I spell everyone's name right?  I'm working blind here)

Hypothetically, a small high school with 60 licenses of the Enterprise to upgrade to the Next Generation would want... a new set of the Stage C LBook for the ELL students -about $1000 dollars for the teacher's edition, 10 student books, and the anchor video.  FlexII rBook to add a second year level of books to the program.  Item numbersQYC527062 Flex II --- (15 pack) ($449.25 times 4) = $1797QYC523278 Teacher's Edition $450.00QYC524922 Anchor Videos $250.00QYC524923 Transparencies $59.95And the upgradeATQ536591 READ 180 EE to NG Upgrade–Stage C, 60 licenses $8,000.00.Total cost = $11,556.95 (add 9% shipping and handling)   Right?

Yes, Dee. That is my understanding, too.  The upgrade to NG includes the Stage A, B, or C rBooks.  However, if a school wants Flex I or II they have to purchase them separately.  Debbie

Yes, I am excited about the Next Generation. I read the info and watched the video, but I still had a couple of questions. Did you get the opinion that this would be an addition for those of us who have READ 180? My district is in the process of getting me the FLEX program for next year. We have children who need more than one year of READ 180. But, the Next Generation would be fabulous for those coming into the program. I know it would help me monitor my students easier and make planning so much better. Sooo, how do you see us getting this?  

In the flyer that I got today, it was indicated that if you are upgrading to the Next Generation, the Flex II books are included. - So make sure your school doesn't double purchase these.  Also, I got the feeling that the Teacher Edition and the Anchor video are going to be an extra cost - even for those upgrading.  I'd ask those questions when placing an order. I am submitting this the Next Generation upgrade as my pie in the sky wish list for next year.  I sincerely doubt that there will be money for this, but who knows.  At least, I can ask and dream. While I'm dreaming, I can envision a NEW LBook to go along with the new rBooks.

I agree that a rSkills test after every workshop is a good idea.  However, I also like using the rSkills after every two workshop to see the summative data.  It will be interesting to see what is going to be available in the new version.... oops was that a bit of drool. :)  Is there a link where I can look up more information on the upgrade option?

Dee's post said that the rBook (Stage A, B, C) is 20% new. What exactly does this mean? Is the workshop content (i.e. When Music Offends' The Day the Music Died, Combat Zone's Ambush, etc in Stage C) the same with just adding writing and 21st Century skills (which I believe replaces the Functional Literacy section)? Or is the rBook for the Stages A, B, and C all new with new stories and articles? I really need to know this information as it will determine whether I spend all summer redoing my homework and other materials, or if I can relax. :0) Thanks! Debbie

AskDee

Question 1:  Hypothetically, a small high school with 60 licenses of the Enterprise to upgrade to the Next Generation would want... a new set of the Stage C LBook for the ELL students -about $1000 dollars for the teacher's edition, 10 student books, and the anchor video.  You would need to purchase the Stage C LBooks.  Suzanne will have to answer about the LBook TE and whether the LBook has changed that much.  The anchor video for Stage C is included. Question 2:  FlexII rBook to add a second year level of books to the program.  If you are going to add the Flex II rBook, yes the new books, TE, ahchor video, and transparencies would need to be purchased.  Of course, all the transparencies are in SAM. Question 3:  I imagine the anchor video is also included, but as that is also available via ITS, may be not.  The anchor video would be available via ITS.  Many teachers have started using the ITS video because it is simpler for them.  They do not have to switch to a DVD player if their computer does not handle the DVD. I think that is all of them.  I'll be certain Suzanne answers the questions about the LBooks. Dee

Dee, My rep told me we get Stage C rBook for each license we upgrade, so an upgrade of 60 licenses gives us 60 rBooks.  That is contrary to what you have just written... ??? Debbie

AskDee

There will be an LBook for the Stage A, Stage B, and Stage C rBooks.  There is not an LBook for the Flex or Flex II books.  

SuzannePuccerella

Is the Next Gen rBook all new, or is the Flex II (as was implied by a previous poster to this thread) being used for Stage C?   The FLEX and FLEX II rBooks will work as they do today - they are an extra purchase. The Next Gen upgrade kits come with the core Stage A, B, and C rBooks (30 or 60 copies depending on the number of licenses in the upgrade kit). Will there be a new LBook for the Next Gen rBook? YES - we are revising the LBook for NG to align to the new rBook writing types and language standards. The LBook is not included in the purchase of an upgrade but will be available for additional purchase. The Next Gen SAM looks awesome, too!  The SAM Digital Portfolio is where teachers can grade the NEW Writing Zone writing, rSkills writing prompts, the Success Zone Fluency recordings. which comes with rBooks and additional titles of READ 180 library books. NEXT GENERATION upgrade kits includes the new Next Generation rBooks. These rBooks have the same readings, but all new instruction, as well as other great new features such as projects, 21st century instruction, new writing types (research paper) and the mult-paragraph writing (to name a few). The Next Generation Library will include 21 new paperback titles for stage A (5 copies each), and stages B and C will each include 20 new titles (5 copies each). My apologies for taking so long to respond. Next Gen is the most exciting edition of READ 180, and I can't tell you all how excited we are about it!  

AskDee

Is the Next Gen rBook all new, or is the Flex II (as was implied by a previous poster to this thread) being used for Stage C?   The rBook is 20% new.  There will be a Flex II book for Next Gen, but the Flex II does not automatically ship with Next Gen.  The Stage A, B, or C rBook is the rBook that is packaged with the Next Gen upgrade.  I'm not certain how the shipping of Flex II will work.  I have sent a question to Suzanne to see how that works. Will there be a new LBook for the Next Gen rBook? Yes, there will be an LBook to accompany the Next Gen Stage C rBook. To add to Next Gen's changes, I've been told that the rBook is going to include multi-paragraph writing from workshop 4 on, and the topic software will include a Writing Zone that students access after the Success Zone.  Both of these are true.  The use of the Writing Zone will be a choice of the teacher.  It will default to every other workshop, but it can be set to be seen in every workshop.  Also, it can be turned off.  The teacher can set it however it is needed for individual students or for the whole class. Those rSkills Tests after every workshop instead of every 2 will also be great.  This was a request of teachers in the field.  Also, the results from the rSkills Tests will be used in one of the three ways the "Groupinator" works to group students for individualization. The Next Gen SAM looks awesome, too!  Grading the teacher graded components will be a bit easier to do in the new SAM.  There will be a Student Portfolio tab where all the teacher grading will be done. Lesson plans with standards, Lesson plans with standards and automatic fill-in will be part of the Teacher Dashboard.  The lesson plan creator is one of the most exciting parts of the new teacher support.  Teachers have to submit lesson plans with state standards (Common Core in some cases) all the time.  Now they will have that populate automatically into a lesson plan.  The Groupinator results will print into the lesson plan.  The lesson plans can be as detailed as the teacher wants.  For those teachers who must submit daily lesson plans, this will be a great timesaver.  I have never seen anything better for leaving lesson plans for substitutes. the groupinator that organizes your groups and tell the teacher what skills each group needs added instruction The groupinator has been specifically developed by Scholastic for READ 180.  It not only does the grouping, there is a function to allow the teacher to change the grouping.  If Alice can't work with Becca, the teacher can move them from one group to another. emailed SAM reports, etc.  Those SAM reports can be scheduled and downloaded in the Teacher Dashboard. Though this will probably not be ready as soon as the software ships, it is coming.  Notifications--completing a Success Zone, low software usage, low session length, level promotion--when certain events occur will be sent also. Scholastic is also offering great prices on the upgrade (by 5/31), Check the site for the downloadable PDF form with the prices by stage purchased (classroom).  The prices are very reasonable for this major upgrade. which comes with rBooks and additional titles of READ 180 library books. There will be 20 new rBooks for Stages B and C and 21 new rBooks for Stage A. One other thing eReads will be available for the students to read either at school or at home.  They can be turned on and off by the teacher, or the teacher can print them for the students.  These eReads will be tied to the current segment for the student. Dee  

I am sooooooo excited about this update.  Thank you, Scholastic, for incorporating a great writing element to the program.  I'm absolutely thrilled!

MMulderKentwoodPS

Hello all!  In my district, we are currently in the process of ordering the R180 Next Gen upgrade for our 6 secondary buildings for the fall, so I may have a few more answers to the questions above.  I must first say that we are THRILLED with the additions and are very pleased with the price to upgrade.  A few glitches that I ran into when ordering... Yes, if you use the Flex/FlexII, they will be an extra purchase.  So, for example, one of our middle schools needed 120 licenses, so we ordered 2 stages of the R180 Next Gen (each stage includes 60 licenses, as well as everything you need:  an rBook for each license purchased, T.E. materials, software additions, and the 20 new SSR book titles w/ 5 copies of each).  Therefore, this school will receive all needed T.E. materials for 2 classrooms (because 2 stages purchased), as well as 120 blue rBooks (way more than needed, of course, because this school also uses the Flex and FlexII).  So, since the Flex/FlexII doesn't come w/ the upgrade, we then had to add those to the order (and any T.E. materials, if needed).  As for the Anchor DVD's, they're the same as before because the stories in the rBooks are the same; therefore, the DVD's are not included/needed (Note:  The rBook stories have been revised for readability, but the content is the same.).  After reviewing the price quotes, I also found out a few things about the shipping and handling...they only charge it on any additional materials, not on the R180 Next Gen upgrades.  So, the S&H will be charged on any Flex/FlexII, additional classroom packs, LBooks, 44Books, etc.  We're still finalizing things, so there may be other issues that arise, but I think we’re on our way!  Feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions:  Melisa.Mulder@kentwoodps.org   Melisa Mulder (R180/S44 Coordinator, Kentwood Public Schools, MI)

now just waiting for money to start growing on trees. :)

MMulderKentwoodPS

No doubt funding is a huge concern...now more than ever! If your school receives At-Risk or Title funds, R180 should qualify because it's an intervention program for At-Risk students. Good luck...I have my fingers and toes crossed for you! Keep us posted! : ) ~ Melisa Mulder

Does anyone know if eventually everyone will have to switch over to the new system? Will the current Read 180 system be phased out, eventually? They are having discounted pricing currently, so if the inevitable switch is coming, this might help in the decision-making process if districts could know this...

From what I have heard/read, Enterprise Edition was introduced in 2006 (-ish) and those with the 1st READ 180 were given the opportunity to upgrade to Enterprise Edition.  Now, with the start of Next Generation, the 1st READ 180 is no longer supported and those schools still running it have to make a decision, but their 2-step upgrade price is different than the one-step upgrade from EE to Next Gen.  It would follow that EE would only be supported for a limited time, and that upgrading eventually would be necessary to continue using READ 180.  That upgrade would be at the higher cost, not discounted as it is until 5/31/11. From my perspective, the upgrade is so reasonably priced that it doesn't make sense not to upgrade.  You receive the new materials (teacher resources, library books, and Stage A, B, or C rBooks), additional software topics (15 vs EE's 9), enhanced writing in both the software and rBooks to meet state and national standards, and a day of Next Gen professional development.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next