Discussion
Independent Reading Behavior

Does anyone have any consequence suggestions for those students in a READ180 classroom that are not "reading" during Independent reading time?

By mestela
Posted on: February 18 2011
Flag this discussion
Share:
22 Comments
  • Not that this is an option for everyone, but you might consider having a parent volunteer help with this rotation.  I have found that having that second pair of eyes and ears is so helpful and keeps students on task more.  Also, it helps the community understand our program better and gets more support all around.

HI mestela, I had this problem during the beginning of the year.  I told my students that if they were not productive in the Independent Reading Station that they would lose some or all of their time in the Instructional Software Station.  They love being on the computers and so my "threat" worked!  It might work for your class??!! Good Luck.

I keep a daily participation log that counts as part of my class grades.  Students receive 25 pts for each center (Whole Group, Small Group, Indep. Reading, and Instructional Software).  If students are off task in the reading center, I deduct 25 pts for their grade that day.  I keep my logs in a notebook, and it usually takes me pulling out that bright yellow notebook and making eye contact with a student for them to quickly straighten up.  They do not like losing their points because they know it will ultimately affect their grades!  Hope this helps!

I have a student that refuses to read.  He picked Swallowing Stones.  I told him weeks ago that if he didn't like the book, to pick a different one.  He is one of those students who waste time.  I don't know what to do to motivate him because he really doesn't like anything about the program.

How do you decide you many points they should have each marking period?

Yes, most of my students have a 90 minute period; however, I have several VoTech students who can only be scheduled for a 45 minute period (in the same classes as my 90 minute students).  This has been challenging, but because I felt maximum computer time was essential, they read at home and have the same point requirements as my other students.  They just do not have any other READ 180 homework.  Most step up and are reading more points than are required.  I would not be adverse to adjusting a student's points required, if necessary (I teach special ed students), and if they had done their best throughout the marking period.

I've printed the custom book list in SAM.  This chart has the Lexile, Points, so on... Some students look at this list first to select their next book. Kaywin Cottle

I find that in high school, the greatest incentive we have is grades.  Reading is 25% of a student's grade and students are required to successfully read and complete all the work for a specified number of book points a marking period.  It might take one or two a marking period or two to figure out that I am serious and that reading is required, but most do figure it out.  As one student said, I may be strict, but it's because I want them to succeed.  One student did not successfully complete a book either MP1 or MP2.  However, MP3 she discovered her hook - the Bluford High series - and has now read every book, plus Romiette and Julio - over 75 book points MP3!  I applied the extra points to her failing MP's which brought her up to passing. 

I have tried serveral different point requirements in the 4 years I have been teaching READ 180.  I even tried pages readper day instead of points.  However, point have been, by far, the most concrete and successful.  This is the first year that I have broken the points down by Level and is working well.  Level 1 students need a minimum of 12 book points.  Level 2: 14, Level 3: 15, and Level 4: 16.  As my students complete test-prep open-ended questions for each book read instead of the Quickwrites, you might find that these points are too low.  Open-ended questions take students from 2-5 days to complete, plus a day for the graphic organizer and test. I keep track of the grades in my gradebook as 1st Book Point, 2nd Book Point, etc.  If a student reads more than their minimum book points, each additional point becomes 1 extra credit point added to their overall grade.  If a student does not read the minimum book points, those are zero grades. 

I really love the idea of have each independent reading book count as a specific number of points.  I have a couple students who like to "veg out" in the reading rotation and this seems like a great solution.  Thanks!

Thanks, this was helpful. Do you have a 90 minute period for your classes? I have only 50 minutes which of course cuts down on reading time.

We write the book points on the back of each book (I circle them) along with the book's Lexile.  Students can keep track of their points from that.  I also keep a chart showing students' completed book points on my Success Wall (pics in media resources).  Sam can also tell you how many book points a student has earned.

One more question.  How do you have the students keep track of their points?  Do they have access to that info or do you have to tell them.    

charity.kinneer

I have several different incentives.  I have comfy furniture in my room that each person in a group must pass (70 or above) two book quizzes before ANYONE in that group can sit on the furniture.  Also, I let them listen to their IPODs as long as they keep quiz grades above a 70 and they are not caught shuffling instead of reading.  I also have a quiz point system.  Each book and quiz that they pass gives them points (if they pass).  I have a 25 point incentive (like a vending machine treat) all the way up to 500 points (Pizza party for the entire class).  The kids LOVE this!  Including these incentives were the only things that increased motivation in my room.  I know not all of us can afford treats but you can print off the certificates also...

Love the point system! I work with 9th grade readers who are very motivatied by incentives. Do you have a document with how your students earn points? 

MrsB

I think what people are referring to with the "points" is that each Scholastic Reading Counts Quiz gives the kids a certain number of points if they take it and pass (kind of like AR if you are familiar with that). I am not sure if some teachers are using this as part of a more elaborate incentive system, but if you just want to keep track of points they are earning for the book quizzes there are a couple of different reports in SAM that will give you the info for each student/class. Personally I haven't done much with the points in past years but this year I am trying to use them more both for grading and incentives. I am having each student set a points goal for each grading quarter, and one of their grades will be the percentage of their goal they actually meet. Also I made a bulletin board with a thermometer graphic for each class, and I'm keeping track of the total points the class has earned on there. When they get to 100 points they will have a choice of a pizza or ice cream party (depending on how long it takes I'm considering doing something smaller like a game day or sodas/chips when they get to 50, but I haven't told them that yet!). It's still early in the year but so far this seems to be motivating the kids! Also one other tip that goes along with this is that I require the kids to complete either the graphic organizer or QuickWrite (these should be in your tub of teacher resources) for the book they've read and show it to me or their TA before they can take a quiz. I have multiple copies of the GO/QW front-to-back filed in a tub in the reading area so the kids can get their own sheet when they need it. They pick which side they want to do or they have the option of doing both sides to get extra credit. This really helps prevent the problem of kids trying to take quizzes without reading the book because they think they can guess and get points. Just a quick glance at their answers makes it pretty obvious whether they really read/comprehended the book or not, and if they didn't I make them sit back down with the book and redo the sheet before they can take the quiz. Once they have actually completed the worksheet and done it well they almost always pass the quiz. If you are looking more for just general behavior incentives I do a few things based on their total class behavior, not just reading. I do a ticket drawing every Friday. Students can earn a ticket each day if they are respectful and on task for the whole class. They also get a "bonus" ticket if they pass an RC quiz or get to Success Zone in the software. At the end of class I pass out the tickets to whoever earned one and they write their names on it and the I collect them and put them in a little plastic tub for their class. Then on Friday I draw out one name and that student gets to pick from the "big" prize box (giant candy bars, the bigger size snack bags of chips, packs of silly bands, etc.). Each student also has a sticker chart and they can earn a sticker every day too. I'm a little more lax with the stickers--pretty much if they are off task at all they lose their ticket, but as long as they complete all their work they can still earn the sticker even if they needed a little redirection (as long as they got right back to work when reminded and didn't talk back!). If they earn three out of five stickers for the week then on Friday they get to pick out of the "small" prize box (more party-favor type cheap stuff--check out Oriental Trading). This gives everybody a chance to get rewarded every week without breaking the bank for a "big" prize for every kid. Also, when they get their whole sticker chart filled up they also get to pick something from the "big" prize box. Also depending on the class, sometimes if everyone has gotten their three stickers for the week for the second half of class on Friday we will play a board game together or have free time on computers instead of going to a rotation. I know this all sounds kind of elementary, and I wasn't sure how my middle and high schoolers would react to it, but for the most part they are really into it. I do have a few from time to time who really seem to not be motivated by anything, but most of the kids really look forward to prizes on Fridays. I actually had one high school class last year where the kids would be asking me by Tuesday if I was going to do the prize drawing on Friday!

I just read all of the messages on the board and am very thankful for all of your great ideas!  I also think the point system will work for my 8th graders.  I will try to set something up similar to many of you.  I am looking forward to sharing ideas with you all.  I do have a few questions: Is the software set up where the students must master the first 3 zones before going to the Success Zone?  I started the program last Monday and noticed that the students were directed back to the zones (blinking tabs). I assumed they did not fare well enough to get to the Success Zone. Also, are the Independent Reading quizzes on the computer?  Where do I find them? I am not sure that my school has purchased rights to a teacher dashboard. Should I have access if we spent money on the licenses? At this time, I am waiting for the teacher resources to be purchased.  I have a used kit that had only some of the start-up resources.  I can access SAM and the reports.  Which reports do you all use for grading purposed? Sorry if I sound clueless, but I do feel like I am muddling through the unknown.  I am excited about it as the students seem interested in the readings and work hard at each rotation.  Thanks for any  help you can give:)))

gr8-teacher

I am new to Read 180, so I don't yet know what to expect of student behavior. I realize that I have a lot to learn. I'm reading here about a points system for the rotations, but I still don't get it. Could you explain more? Like the person above me asked, do you have a document that explains it? Thanks!

MrsB

Sorry for the huge run-on paragraph in my last post--I did have it divided into paragraphs when I was typing but for some reason it won't post it that way!

AskDee

To get to the Success Zone, students must do the following: Answer 15 questions in the Reading Zone (Next Generation)  or 10 questions (Enterprise Edition) Master all the study words in the Word Zone. Master a certain number of study words in the Spelling Zone: 6 for Level 1 12 for Level 2 18 for Level 3 24 for Level 4 Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

I've answered your questions in red below. I do have a few questions: Is the software set up where the students must master the first 3 zones before going to the Success Zone?  I started the program last Monday and noticed that the students were directed back to the zones (blinking tabs). I assumed they did not fare well enough to get to the Success Zone.  It will take students several days to complete all of the first 3 Zones.  The Reading Zone takes 5-6 days, the Word and Spelling Zones can take up to 2 weeks to complete depending on the number of words they need to master.  Students should work an equal amount of time in each Zone.  The blinking Zone is telling students whick Zone to go to next.  Some students try to avoid certain Zones, so Ty directs them to those in need of work.  Once students finish the 1sr 3 zones, they will enter the Success Zone.  I use this as a test grade as they are now applying the skills they have practiced in the 1st 3 zones.  Is your district planning to give you training inn READ 180?  You might want to ask about that, if you are not sure. Also, are the Independent Reading quizzes on the computer?  Where do I find them?  IR Quizzes are taken in the Reading Counts Program (the icon has 3 open books in a circle).  In SAM, you have a Book tab.  The Quiz Manager tab in that will allow to look up quizzes, and print them if needed. I am not sure that my school has purchased rights to a teacher dashboard. Should I have access if we spent money on the licenses? At this time, I am waiting for the teacher resources to be purchased.  I have a used kit that had only some of the start-up resources.  Which version of READ 180 are you running?  Enterprise Ed (no Teacher Dashboard) or the new Next Generation (Teacher Dashboard)?  If your schoolo did not upgrade to Next Gen, then you will not have access to the TD.  However, if you have a smartboard and you school has the Premium Maintenance Support Plan, then you can access the ITS (Interactive Teaching System) for enhanced whole and small group lessons.  I can access SAM and the reports.  Which reports do you all use for grading purposed? For Grading for work done on the software, I use the READ 180 Reading Report: Comprehension and Vocabulary for eaqch segment.  These grades reflect students' first answer to the Quick Check Questions.  For the Success Zone, I use the Student Segment Status Report, which gives me their Discrepency Passage and Context Passage grades. Again, these scores reflect students' first responses.  The Fluency and Writing Zone Grades are calculated using the rubrics.  The grading rubrics I use for either Next Gen or Enterprise Ed are in the Resource Library: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=1617 For independent reading, students are graded on their reading logs, QW, GO, and book quiz.  This resource may help:  http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=1627 I hope this helps. Debbie  

I keep an independent reading checklist with me during small group time.  I try to monitor at least thee times during each 20 min. independent reading time.  If students receive more than 3 checks for off task behiavior, that is 25% off their daily reading grade plus, they have to make up the lost reading during after school detention.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next