Discussion
mabel
Overload

I am not sure how everyone else feels, but I am on overload. I am just trying to find time to grade graphic organizers, quickwrites, and listen to fluency. When do you find time to do all this. I feel like things are just stacking up on me. Any suggestions on how to do all this without feeling like you are drowning in READ 180 items.

By mabel
Posted on: November 03 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
8 Comments
  • I feel this way at times.  Some days, I was thankful just to make it through the quagmire of behaviors I was dealing with.  I do check over the GO and QW, but I do not grade them.  I check to make sure that the GO is correct and complete and I only require my kids to do 2 out of 4 QW's.  The kids were not answering any when I asked for 4 to be done.  I told them they could do only 2, but they better be done well.  It is a compromise that works for me.  The kids  wait for me to issue a ticket before they take the test.  I have 9 kids in a class and 4 classes.  I try to have a 24 hour turn around.  It is not always easy.  I use the answer keys in the back of the book for the GO's.   They sped up the process the first year.  Now, I've either read the book or have the answers memorized.  The answers keys give suggestioned answers and I get an idea what is acceptable.  Fluency evaluation is the hardest thing for me to get done.  When I actually sit to do this task, I do a number of kids at the same time.  It is not the best scenario, but it is the best I can do.  Don't give up.  Pick what is most important. Check and see if there is anything you can streamline.  It gets easier as time goes on.

I agree that kids need the feedback.  Remember that the program has quite a bit of feedback built into it.  I think accountability with the GO and QW is vital.  I have fairly small classes so it is not too hard to keep up with the paper work.  I look at every GO and QW.  When I first started I did not know the answers were in the back of the book.  I only glanced at the work, not knowing whether or not the answers were right.  The rate of success on the Reading Counts Quizzes was very low. Once there was some accountability the pass rate went up.  Things came together as I found a system that worked for me.   

mabel

I know that my students have been doing all 4 quickwrites. I was having the problem of them stopping and doing them. So I copied the quickwrites on labels and placed the labels in the book. Then I highlighted the sticker so students would stop. I tell my students that each quickwrite is 25 points. They must answer all. Knock on wood they have done them.

I would like to echo what has been said.  Pick what is important and focus on that.  Ditto... you don't have to grade everything.  Just enough to give adequate feedback, to keep the students motivated, and inform instruction.

mabel

I guess I grade everything so students realize I am making them accountable for what they are suppose to be doing. I also feel they need to get some feedback, but I feel like I am drowning. I guess I need to give up the control on that. Now as for the fluency I have not even been able to grade one of them. I need to make time for it, but finding that is hard.

Yes, I know for sure I am on overload....  The thing that I find challenging is how to make sure our kids are benefitting from this....  Just relax...It will all work itself out. 

kgreco

I am in a co-taught Read 180 class.  We have about 20 students in each class (3 classes).  There is so much grading, even if it is split.  Therefore, I have pretty much memorized the answers to the most popular books (such as King of the Hill).  At the beginning of the year the students put mini post-its on the pages or chapters that required Graphic Organizer or Quick Write answers.  It worked for a little while.  I will probably have the students do that again, since most of the post-its fell out of the book.  This helps them to get the answers correct because they know exactly where to look and the information had just been read.  If the answers are correct grading is mush easier :)

When your kids complete their second SRI you will see how much they benefit from the program.  It helps relaxing about it a little easier.  I was amazed after my classes took their second test-just about everyone improved dramatically.  When I saw that one class that had less growth than the others I talked to them about it and we came up with a game plan.  I  was sure to tell them that we all and that included me needed to work on things You are making a difference.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next