Discussion
Problems with voice recordings in System 44

We have a bank of five computers with Sys 44 recently installed.

All five of them freeze after students record their voice, often when they work on the first word.

After about three restarts, it finally worked.

I found a tech support item that warns against having incompatible client and server versions of Sys 44, but when I look at the client version's properties, the actual version number isn't shown.

These systems have 512 megs of RAM. Is that enough?

The USB headphones work fine.

By thaag
Posted on: October 26 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
7 Comments
  • As there have been many postings with this problem recently, I'm thinking this is a tech support issue, possibly with the new software version(?).  Someone else (I think it was ADemmy) also mentioned that this might be related to the new delivery from the server via the Internet (Not sure I said that right)...  Has anyone called READ 180 Tech Support yet?  I would but my current schedule leaves me little time to call.  Scholastic - Laura, John, Dee - has anyone narrowed this down to what is causing the problem?  If it's a software issue, is there a fix date?  If we a re all having similar issues, there must be a common thread...

Hi thaag and Debbie! Thank you for your posts to the Community Message Boards.  Per your conversation, it seems that the issues you are experiencing with System 44 may be related to a QuickTime issue.  Attempting to record in System 44 using QuickTime 7.6.6 or later will result in the student being unable to proceed in the software.  Scholastic is currently working with Apple to overcome this limitation intoduced with QuickTime 7.6.6.  In the meantime, please revert the workstations back to Quicktime 7.6.0, which has been certified to work with System 44. Should you have any additional questions regarding students unable to progress in the System 44 software after recording, please contact me directly at read180community@scholastic.com. Thank you! -Laura /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

What is the easiest way to revert back to QuickTime 7.60?   Debbie and Laura, many thanks for your time and knowledge.   Tim

AskDee

Simlpy uninstall the current version of QuickTime using the uninstall utility in Windows.  Then install the older version.  Using the uninstall utility will make certain that all the stray items that are installed when a program is installed wil be found and uninstalled. Dee

Hi thaag and Debbie! Thank you for your posts to the Community Message Boards.  Per your conversation, it seems that the issues you are experiencing with System 44 may be related to a QuickTime issue.  Attempting to record in System 44 using QuickTime 7.6.6 or later will result in the student being unable to proceed in the software.  Scholastic is currently working with Apple to overcome this limitation intoduced with QuickTime 7.6.6.  In the meantime, please revert the workstations back to Quicktime 7.6.0, which has been certified to work with System 44. Should you have any additional questions regarding students unable to progress in the System 44 software after recording, please contact me directly at read180community@scholastic.com. Thank you! -Laura

Glad to hear that my computers are not unique in this freeze up issue.  I am busy with my small group instruction & have not witnessed the freeze ups that were reported last week.  We have a few extra computers in my Lab so I tell them to go try another station.  Sometimes it worked to do that, and other times it didn't. Tomorrow I will observe the students working in S44 and see where the problem happens.  I have a group of 6 in S44 and have just started it last week for the first time. Today I was given the CD players for the books.  Now they can read along.  

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next