Discussion
System 44

My district started Read 180 last January and we recently purchased System 44 and are starting to implement it this year.  We are having a lot of problems with the software/technology for this program.  The children speak into the headset microphones, but are kicked out by the program locking up after stating that the response is not heard.  I have tried to use different microphones and it does the same thing.  Is there a specific brand of headsets with microphones that work best?  Help, we want to get this problem solved quickly!!!  Darlene

Posted on: October 24 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
6 Comments
  • We have had good luck with headphones that have USB connections.  The brand name is Logitech.

Thanks, we have called tech support several times and have tried many different things but nothing has worked so far.  We will try to get this type and see if if helps.  I appreciate your response. Darlene

We have also had good luck with the USB Logitech microphone/headphones for Read 180.  Plus, we have only had one break this year.

AskDee

One of the key components of System 44 is the ability of the computer to hear the student speak into the microphone.  Here are somethings to remember: Sometimes computers do not hold the settings for sound.  Sometimes the sound cards are not very reliable.  I find that it is very helpful to look at the settings on a computer where the microphones are working and replicate those settings on every other computer.  I also find that we do not want students removing the microphones or headsets from the computers.  Whenever they remove them very much, the connections can be weakened, and you will have more microphone trouble.   We need to talk to our students about proper care of the computers and emphasize not removing the microphones. We need to be certain that all the upgrades have been added to the software by our Tech Departments.  This is very important with System 44 because upgrades take care of many of the problems we encounter.

You're not the only one having this problem! 

As Dee said, switching the headphones weakens the connections.  I found that when we stopped the kids from switching headphones life got much better.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next