Discussion
mabel
Students Behaviors

I was wondering what do you do with a student who is on the low side of the lexile, and refuses to really read. I can't be with him since I am working in small group. It has become such a problem that he is effecting my other students. I have done the phone call home, AP talk, and conference. Any other suggestions. I am willing to try anything.

By mabel
Posted on: October 18 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
19 Comments
  • I have a very similiar problem.  Except almost all of my students, I would say 15 out of 24 of my students are behavior problems.  Almost all of them scored in the BR range on their SRI.  I can't get them to read independently.  I have all students sitting at their desks to read.  I have given detentions and called home.  I also have another student come into my room and sit and read with my students.  The students just don't want to read.  I have also turned it around, and I give points and daily prizes, and this still does not motivate them to read.  I don't know what else I can do to help them.  I would love any suggestions.

It sounds like you need help from outside the class. Do you have a discipline team?  We have a dean of students that deals with this kind of issue. How about the students' grade level team?  Don't be afarid to ask for help. 

mabel

I have tried a new incentive with my students and it has done wonders. I am actually using a check register. The student deposit money in their account. If they are off task, or if they are doing something positive I give them money to add or subtract from their account. For example: John Doe will get 20 dollars for their account. When I have an awesome answer, I have them write awesome answer on the register and add it up. If they are off task in the Reading section I take 5 dollars off the account. The students will use the money in the checking account for an auction. I have recieved cut in line passes from the AP's, bookmarks from the library, and then I have some odds and ends to auction off. We have our first auction this week. I will post how it goes.    

We have a "Steps for Success" letter that goes home at the beginning of the year or when we get a new student.  It includes goals for the class and expectations for student behavior as well as consequences.  If students continue to misbehave then a behavior contract is signed by the student, parent, teacher and counselor.  With the help of parents contract seems to do the trick. I also use the back of the signed "Steps for Success" letter as an anecdotal record.  This is used in a middle school setting, but may be as effective in high school.

HI I have a points sheet that I use.  When I'm teaching in small group, i have it next to me and if I look up and someone is fooling around on the computers or during silent reading, I  take a point off.  When we meet at the end of class to talk for the last few minutes, I keep the students at the end of class after the bell rings just for a minute to "talk to them".  They HATE this.  HATE HATE HATE.  It's just a minute but I shoo their friends out so they have to walk to class alone and almost late. If it happens again, I give them a lunch detention, and we read together for 20 minutes. Of course, two years ago I had to have a student removed from the READ 180 class because he could not, would not, settle down and the other kids were not making any progress. Do you have any say if a student should stay in READ 180 or not?  it's such an independent class- students need to be pretty self disciplined, don't you think?

mabel

Thanks. I might try the parent visit. He is disruptive too. He is nice but then he forgets he is nice and changes. It drives me crazy. He was moved from my second class to my first one. The students in the first class were not happy. I just hope he tries to fit in and not make himself not liked.

Can you post a copy of the Steps to Success you use.  It sounds like something I could use for some of my tougher kids. 

My low lexile readers usually choose to listen to an audio book.  I also check books/tapes out from the library that they are interested in that they can listen to.  We have the STAR/AR system, so when they are finished, they take the AR test in place of the SRC test.  I have also "banned" students from the reading area (with the comfy bean bag chairs), and they have to sit at their desk to read.  I think a consistent behavior plan is essential also.  Good luck with this.

I have heard of supportive parents "visiting" class for a day or two. They just come and sit in on class.I am not sure how that would work in your school.  It depends on the student and the parent. If the parents are willing it might be worth a try.  I have bribed my kids, called parents, assigned lunch detention and read with them during their lunch.  The lunch detention can give you an opportunity to find out what is really going on.   The key is to find out what the student's "currency" is.  I had one student last year that was so disruptive that the rest of the class did not progress as much as they should have.  It got to the point that when the girl was absent the other kids commented on how much better class was without her.  I just could not connect with the girl and was frustrated day in and day out. 

chrisSLEMS

I have found that with some of my BR kids it is a better start for them if they get to be the first to use the Audiobooks.  Gives them that "I'm First" glow and an easy start to the reading process.  You might try team reading, with a more advanced friend, at their desks or, as reward, in the reading area during Whole Group.  Finding the hook is the hardest thing but once you have found it things will, for the most part, smooth out.  You would be amazed what an effect understanding what you are reading has on behavior!!

AskDee

I just had another idea for this student.  How about making him sit right next to you during his reading time?  Even though he should be reading, by putting him next to you in the Small Group area you could keep your eye on him and he would know you mean business.  He could be just back a little from your Small Group table, even right in back of your chair. If he dosn't read, at least he would get the benefit of hearing the Small Group lesson twice, and he would not be disrupting the class.  He could earn the right to return to the Modeled and Independent Reading area. Dee

AskDee

We purcahsed extra audiobooks for our students who were BR level readers.  We used READ 180 audiobooks, but we purchased other audiobooks as we located them. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

I got a grant for MP3 players to use instead of CD players.  Wow, the kids love them.  

I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.  I started using "blogging" instead of paper reading logs with my 7th and 8th graders.  If all directions are not followed, though, then they lose the opportunity to blog.  We have a school Moodle site that houses the blogs, and students are able to comment on each other's if they finish their blog in enough time (they have 5 minutes at the end of Independent Reading).  If I had a 6th grader with a behavior like that, I might allow blogging as a reward to make IR more interesting.  However, if it's a deeper issue, that wouldn't work either...

Turban... I would LOVE to hear more about how you use blogging in independent reading.  My district also uses Moodle, and I am trying to decide if I should set up a class READ 180 Facebook group, which might also be a venue for blogging ... or not - (I don't know enough about how that would work to decide).   How do your students access Moodle?  Do they use their own personal electronic devices, or do you have additional computers/laptops available for them to use in IR?   What criteria do you use?  How do you know they are blogging and not off task?  At what point are they finished with their blog so they can comment on other students' blogs The concept of increasing students' digital literacy is important to me, and your IR blog is a perfect extension of that philosophy. What a great idea! Debbie

I think my kids would love this idea.  I will be checking back for additional information.

AskDee

I love your post about blogging, turban1.  Your explanation is so helpful.  I can see how this would really work in schools where all students have laptops or iPads as well as in your situation where you have access to the laptop cart.  Thank you so much.

marlene.peral

You are not alone. I came to teach Read 180 in February. The students were resistant to the change, to the routine and to every rule in the classroom. They had a substitute all the while since the other REad 180 teacher resigned last August. Behavior is my struggle every single day. A lot of the students complain, do not comply, do not work and participate in whole and small group instruction. I really had to ask support from the administrators in worst scenarios. They do not care about passing Read 180. I have tried all strategies and reward system. Some days are good but mostly bad. But I thank this community and Dee, Read 180 master teacher for being a wonderful mentor.

Sorry it took so long to respond!  This is what I do: - Our school has a laptop cart of 9 Macbooks for special ed. teachers to use.  I'm lucky that no one ever uses them, so I keep them in my classroom and let the students use them every day. - Students log into the computer when they start IR (or log in as soon as they enter the classroom if they see they are in IR for the first rotation).  Most also log into Moodle right away, although I have told them that it is more important to start reading right away and worry about logging in when the 5-minute timer sounds. - I have given checklists and also post directions for IR at the IR station.  In these directions, it is listed to read, do Quick Writes when they come to a sticky note in their books (we put sticky notes in ahead of time to correspond with the Quick Write worksheet), and then when a 5-minute timer sounds, they blog. I have the blogs listed as the first topic in Moodle and each student has one- "XXX's Reading Blog".  They're names are all in a list, so they just need to click on theirs to add a post.  The students can also access each other's blogs to give feedback on their peers' entries.  When students complete a blog entry, they need to put the date in the "Title" box (I know it's confusing, but this helps my aide and me when we go to grade an entry each week- we pick a date to grade and then look at that date for each student), and then in the message box, they need to put the title of the book, the lexile, the page numbers read, and then write 3 meaningful sentences about what they read that day.  We have a blue worksheet that lists sentence starters they can use (I got them from our READ 180 rep).  They earn a point for having the date, a point for the title, one for the lexile, one for the page numbers (1/2 off if only page started or ended is there; sometimes students begin their blog before reading and put the page they will start, but then forget to go back and put the page ended), one for using a sentence starter, one for having three sentences (of course, I differentiate for some students and allow one good sentence, and so on), and a point for having a "meaningful" entry.  They can use these entries for their SRC quizzes or study them before taking the quiz; however, I don't believe anyone ever does... - Sometimes there are issues, like:  there is no entry for that day.  I give the benefit of the doubt and will grade the day before or day after, or sometime during that week.  If they are absent a lot, then I excuse it.  If I know I changed up the schedule in class and didn't allow time to do reading blogs, then I'll excuse them from it, and so on.  If students spend forever doing Quick Writes, which they were supposed to do throughout the book and not just at the end, I may only give them 4/7 for writing "Did quick writes" or whatever.  I tell them that if they are completing quick writes or a quiz, they should be looking back in the book and rereading to find answers, so they are supposed to write about what they reread, not what they did.  This is still a problem, since some will still write "took quiz," etc.  One of these days they will learn... - Honestly, I don't have much time to look at accountability, since I am so overwhelmed with teaching READ 180 to three double-period classes.  There is so much data to go through and grading to do for 40 students!  My aide does check how many pages they read in a day sometimes, and my aide will stay on top of the ones who don't focus when she's not doing book talks and Success Zone readings with students.  I now have her and my student teacher grading the blogs- one entry per week for 7 points.  I really do not have many problems with my 7th and 8th graders who blog.  It's my 6th graders who do paper reading logs that have more trouble.  It may be better if I gave them the chance to blog, but I feel like that component would be too much to add to everything else they need to learn about READ 180, since we start READ 180 in 6th grade and they need to learn all the routines, etc. - When students hear the 5-minute timer, they blog.  Once they are done, they can comment on other students' blogs and read until they hear the final timer. I hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions!  Good luck!  

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next