Discussion
Students with Autism

I have teacher asking if READ 180 is inappropriate placement for students with Autism. I know that ever student's situation is different, but she was wondering if anyone has research or experience that she can pull from when talking to the student's parents about the program.

Posted on: October 11 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
5 Comments
  • AskDee

READ 180 is used successfully with students with autism on a regular basis.  Sometimes students who have a lack of verbal skills have difficulty with the Word Zone, and it doesn't work.  The autism spectrum is so broad, that I think you have to determine this on a case-by-case basis. Dee

I agree- each person on the Autism spectrum has different characteristics.  Students who struggle with transitioning or moving on to another task before finishing another would have difficulty.  So would students whose reading/writing skills are too low. It would be a fabulous program for students who need a boost with initiating conversation with peers.  (Just pick the partners carefully...)    

I have a student with Aspergers in my Read 180 class. I agree that you would have to look at it case by case. It really depends on the student. My student really excels at the computer, but struggles with reading logs and small group. I just have to figure out how to differentiate things so that he can do well at the things he is capable of.

Thank you for your post on the message boards.  Although, we do not have research concentrating solely on READ 180 and its effectiveness with students with autism, there are a number of students with similar learning disabilities who have experienced success with READ 180.  This past year, we witnessed these amazing gains first-hand with one of our 2010 Scholastic All-Star winners.  Before READ 180, Miguel (diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome) had trouble focusing in the classroom and his struggles with school left him frustrated and unmotivated to finish his assignments. Today, one year later, Miguel has emerged as one of the most improved students in his class.

I have an Austic student with reading comprehension and written language deficits. He does well on the spelling and vocabulary portions of the computer zones. His Lexile level keeps decreasing which is an issue with a parent advocate. They keep telling the parents Read 180 is not appropriate for this student. I disagree. He has been in my program for 12 weeks, follows the rotation well, does fair in the whole group and small group lessons when he isn't asked to write. Does anyone have any similar situations or any ideas that I can use to encourage the parents to keep him in the program. I might add that he is a low functioning Autistic child with speech and language issue also. But the parent advocate has the parent's convinced that it is the schools fault. Please give any helpful feedback.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next