Discussion
Question about Scholastic U?

I could swear we were told in our Read 180 training that Scholastic U would be free...does anyone know if that's true?

Posted on: September 24 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
7 Comments
  • Our school was given one Scholastic U login for free.  I took the class and highly recommend it! Note: Although the course was free, there was a cost for getting the credit from the University of San Diego. (There were some other choices for the credit option, I choose the cheapest one at the time.)

AskDee

You receive a free course on READ 180.  cottle is right about that there is a cost if you want college credit for the class.

Thanks for the info--do you know who I would contact to get the free Read 180 course? No one responded to my email to S.U.

AskDee

In your Teacher Implementation Guide that you get at the first day of training on p. 166 are all the directions for using the "free" READ 180 course.  The course is called READ 180: Best Practices for Reading Intervention.

I would suggest contacting Scholastic RED Implementation Manager Julia Stefanczyk. Her email is jstefanczyk@scholastic.com. She should be able to help you get started with the course READ 180: Best Practices for Reading Intervention.

Hi, I work in the marketing department at Scholastic Education and I just want to clarify the difference between Scholastic U and Scholastic RED courses. Every stage of READ 180 comes with two free enrollments to the online Scholastic RED course called: READ 180--Best Practices for Reading Instruction. Instructions on how to enroll are included in the professional develoment start-up porfolio that comes with the Teacher Bookshelf. Teachers who wish to take the READ 180 course for credit, can do so by contacting any of the Scholastic RED university credit partners (listed on the Scholastic RED website under the Universtiy Credit Partners link on the left side of the home page). The universities charge varying fees for graduate credit. Teachers are free to select whichever partner they prefer; they can use the links in that section of the website to register for graduate credit. Scholastic U, available in January 2011, is an online professional development destination that includes access to 20 graduate-level online couses in reading instruction and assessment--as well as thousands of just-in-time resources, community, and other interactive features. Scholastic U courses are not tied to any specific Scholastic program. Scholastic U is sold as an annual subscription per school. I hope this clears up any confusion. Enjoy your READ 180 course! Jeannie Sharkey, Scholastic Education  

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next