Discussion
Expected Pace/Independent Reading

During one of the workshops I attended at NSI, one of the instructors referenced a guideline to determine how many days it should take a student, depending on their lexile level, to complete a book.  Anyone out there remember the name of this study?

Thanks

By mj05385
Posted on: August 03 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
7 Comments
  • Hi: mj05385 is correct, the document you are referencing can be found in the 2010 READ 180 National Summer Institute Digital Handbook.  Please visit the handbook by clicking on the Groups tab at the top of the page and selecting the National Summer Institute group.  You may log-in using the password you received at the Institute (if you do not have the password, please Email read180community@scholastic.com and I will be happy to provide to you).  Once in the digital handbook, select the Experienced READ 180 Educator Strand and then select the Workshop "Using READ 180 Data in Student Conferences to Build Success."  The Stage B Audiobooks and Leveled Paperbacks document you are referring to is on page 20 of the Agenda. Thank you!

I did not attend the "Using Data to Build Success" workshop,  but I did pull up the information from it.  I found a document titled "Stage B: Audiobooks and Leveled Paperbacks" at the end of the packet, check and see if that is what you are looking for. 

The information included on fluency rates is listed only for Stage B.  Are the fluency rates available for Level C?  Otherwise, the document mentioned will be very helpful.  I wish I had attended that workshop! Debbie

Is this something that will be made available to Stage B teachers.  It would be a great reference tool. 

Hi Debbie: Thank you for post, I am so glad to hear that you have found this resource to be so valuable!  As a follow-up to your question, we are currently in the process of creating Stage A and Stage C Versions of the Stage B Audiobooks and Paperbacks document from the National Summer Institute Session "Using READ 180 Data in Student Conferences to Build Success."  We hope to have the Stage A and C versions available to Community members in the Resource Library this fall.  I will be happy to post a message when these are available so that you may download them from the site.  At that time I will also plan to post Stage B to the Resource Library so that it available to all members of the Community.  Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.  Thank you again for your support on the Community Web Site! Best, Laura

I will be watching for the Stage B Pacing Guide.  I wish I was able to attend NSI this Summer.  I am going to try for next year!  

I found the page in the packet from the NSI Workshop - Using Read 180 Data in Student Conferences.  Excellent resource.  Is there an estimated completion rate calculations chart for Level C books?  Mariellen

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next