Discussion
Goals

I was thinking about how I ask my kids to set goals in READ 180.  They set goals for their Independent Reading even for the first marking period.  Later in the year I have them set a goal for SRI improvement.  

I am going to set goals for my teaching and READ 180 classes.  Do any of you set goals for the year?  If so what are they?

By jodieo1
Posted on: August 01 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
8 Comments
  • What and where did you find the resource about fidelity of the program and listed tiered goals for positive implementation of Read 180?  I would love to take a look at it. 

I also would like to read  the resource about fidelity of the program and listed tiered goals for positive implementation of Read 180.  It would be great if you could share.

I've had my students write three goals.  One academic, one personal and the third can be their choice.  They have to write down the specific goal and what they can do to achieve it.  They also have to tell how they will know if they've achieved it; how they'll measure their success.   I didn't do this last year, but plan to bring it back this year with a little tweaking.

Scottie, I like it!  Thanks for sharing! 

After NSI I too am sold on goal setting, not only for my students but for myself as well.  I found a resource about fidelity of the program and listed tiered goals for positive implementation of Read 180.  I am using this for my personal instructional goal.  I will have my students use an SRI worksheet for setting goals as well as conferencing sheets for monthly monitoring and checks on goals.  I think this will help keep students motivated in the program

AskDee

I'll post that document as soon as I find out exactly which one she is referring to.  I'll get back to you all as soon as I post it as a resource. Dee

Hey Scottie, It would be great if you can post your Goal Sheet in the resource library.  I like the idea of the goal setting different areas. Thanks, Jodie

AskDee

I've added to the Resources the observation form that was mentioned by DemmyA_DaviesMS.  It can be found at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=930.  Or you can just do a quick search to find it by entering "observation" as a search term.  It is called the "READ 180 Coaching Observation Form and Action Plan." Dee

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next