Discussion
Grading rbooks

Please let me know how grade the rbook. If you have a rubric or other criteria sheet, please let me know. Thanks

By truby
Posted on: July 20 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
13 Comments
  • AskDee

I hope others chime in on this one.  I have a different philosophy about grading rBooks than many people, I think.  I believe in checking to see that the rBook is done and done well in small group as you teach with it.  Sometimes I check each item with a large checkmark using a marker, add up the checkmarks, and record a quick numeric grade.  I do not believe each rBook lesson should be "graded" because I want the rBook to be an interactive text where students can change answers as they change their minds.  I do believe in requiring students to do their best work because the least that I require is the best that I will get.  There are rubrics for the writing lessons.  You can find them both in the rBook TE and on SAM.  The last lesson in each workshop has a possibility of being graded because it has many elements that are done individually. Dee

I agree with Dee about grading the rBook.  Much of the workshop is done together, or discussed before responding.  For everything except the writing and Workshop Wrap-up, I give students a behavior grade: Did they complete everything?  Did they use a PENCIL (a requirement as students often have to erase and rewrite rBook entries), did they participate in the discussions, etc.  However, if absent, they must make-up the rBook work missed to receive the "behavior points."  For the written paragraph (or essay), I assign higher points because it's my experience that many of my students just refuse to do any writing.  We use the Workshop Wrap-up as an open-book test, mirroring our state assessment with multiple choice and open-ended (short answer) questions. As Dee says, the rBook is an interactive text and students will be changing responses in the book. For this reason, I insist students use a pencil in their rBook.  Pen is fine any other time. Debbie

chrisSLEMS

I have done both and find that if you don't give the kids the right feedback (timely, instructive, and PERSONAL) you don't get good quality work nor the interactivity that move the rBook along.  I, like Dee, give each page a Check and a personal message about the effort[do this in the first 3 workshops and slowly phase out when the effort is at a good level]  don't stop entirely, fool them with an occaisional note:).  I, also, do immediate scoring of End of Unit quizzes and record then as quiz grades in Powergrade. 

Thank you for everyone's thoughts and ideas for grading the rBook. I appreciate your willingness to post your feedback.

Hi! In my class, the rBook is part of the work that constitutes a student's "participation" grade. I have four grading categories (Software, Independent Reading, Writing Assignments, Participation), each worth 25%. Each of these four categories has multiple assignments each grading period (it really allows students to learn at their own pace without being penalized for needing more time to master a skill). As our friends above posted, much of the rBook text can be challenging for students, and we complete it together, so I include the calculation with their overall participation.   Miranda

Thanks to all for sharing your grading techniques--it's all a bit overwhelming for us newbies and this definitely helps!

I agree with Dee but Debbie took the words right out of my mouth.  Because so much of the small group is done together I have to say that to give it a grade seems a little off to me. And I do agree with Chris they have to know that this is valued in terms of giving it a grade.  I remind them daily in participation points in general that go along with my overall expectations.

mabel

I feel that much of the Rbook is done together. I feel this is where students can figure out what the text is saying and see where they are right on track with the information or need more review. I have been so confused on what to grade. It is just so much that you can take grades on it is just finding the happy medium where grades are concerned.

amzahn

My students are fully invested in grades. Therefore, this is how I break down the grades for the rBook in my classes: In the Teacher's Edition, each workshop page has a Skills Tracker. When it is in Teach (I Do), the grade is participation points. When it moves to Practice (We Do), it is still participation points. When it is in Apply (You Do), it becomes classwork points. The Word Challenge and Functional Literacy-Careers are participation. The Functional Literacy Real-World is classwork. The writing is two grades: classwork and homework. The quiz at the end is assessments.  

I, too, teach at the high school level and my students are also highly invested in grades.  I require a lot from them, but also give them opportunities for extra credit for excelling, or going above and beyond.  My rBook grading is the same - mostly participation (I do, we do) and graded for "You do."  I grade the writing with more weight than the daily rBook because my students struggle and resist writing.  If I didn't, they would just refuse to write.  Ditto for using the workshop quiz as an assessment. 

I have also used the end of the workshop quizzes as a method of measure to assess the student's success and areas I may need to readdress.

I share much the same approach. With the rbooks being using for small group. I look at the rBooks at the end of the workshop, allow students to complete and then grade each page according to its completion.

AskDee

Hi everyone, I reread this discussion again today and have to reiterate what some of you are saying--immediate feedback is what is needed in grading the rBook.  If the feedback is not immediate, our READ 180 students do not really benefit from it very much.  That's why I like grading the rBook while the students are in Small Group--making certain students have personal, immediate feedback about their work. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next