Discussion
How does your school determine who goes into the Read 180 program?

Hi, My school has a few different reading programs for special and reg. ed students. Since this program is new this year I would like to know how your district determines who goes into the Read 180 program. Are there any screenings that you use? Do you give possible candidates the SRI and if so how do you determine if they qualify for the program. Thank you so much in advance.

By mrsk
Posted on: May 21 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
9 Comments
  • Although not ideal, we put all Resource Center SPED freshmen in READ 180.  Of almost 50 students TY, only 2 were reading at or above level and were placed there because of their behavior, needing the small class setting.  In their sophomore year, some are weeded out and moved to ICS if they are reading at level and succeeding.  The rest remain in READ 180 for their sophomore year.  We do not offer READ 180 for Juniors or Seniors at this point, unless there are special circumstances.  We also have 1 class (2 next year) of System 44/READ 180 for developmentally disabled students.  They will receive services for all 4 years.  We do not offer READ 180 to general ed students at this time. Debbie

This year my school's scheduler has decided to seek my assistance in scheduling and screening 8th graders for next year's 9th grade READ 180 classes.  I requested three types of data from her:  1.  8th grade MSA reading scores, 2.  Grade Point Averages and     3.  Lexile Scores.   After receiving all the data I requested, I placed the information on EXCEL sheets and ranked the students.  What was interesting is that there were many students who had good GPAs (2.7-3.3) and low MSA reading and lexile scores.  I wondered if students took the state assessment reading test seriously and if grades were inflated.  Next, I checked to see which students were SPED and deleted their names because there is a separate READ 180 program for SPED students.  I'm planning to conduct additional research on some of the students' grades 6th and 7th MSA reading scores to make sure students who scored proficiency and advanced are placed appropriately.  Reviewing students' middle school longitudinal data has really helped in targeting students for next year's program.  It's a long and tedious task, but it's worth it to make sure the right students are given opportunities to complete the READ 180 program and its interventions.   

In our school, any student who fails the reading TAKS test is issued a seat in next year's READ 180 class.  In addition, we have 2 levels of READ 180 classes for ESL students who are way below grade level readers. 

profile photo

I've been teaching Read 180 for 6 years. I am blessed with having a school that trusts my judgment, so I decide who is enrolled in the program. We teach 5-8 and have both level A and B. I look at the standardized tests and make a list of the lowest scorers at each grade level. I pick the lowest scorers, regardless of Special Ed. status. I also look at SRI scores for those students who've been tested. Next year, I'll also be teaching System 44, so I plan to take the lowest scorers on the standardized test and give them the SRI and then SPI if their scores are below 400.

I think it's great when READ 180 teachers have input during the screening process. Last year our school used a single factor in deciding who should be placed in the classes. However, this year I have been involved with the scheduler in analyzing data from several factors to determine which students should be enrolled in the classes.

My district adopted the program 2 years ago for our high school Special Ed students. At that point all Special Ed students that had reading goals were enrolled into the class. Last year several schools in our district also made it available for general ed freshmen. The general ed students were selected by scores on their MAPs tests. We give this assessment 3 times a year. If their scores were below the 25th percentile they were eligible for the program. Most schools had separate classes for the students. Next year I will have general ed students mixed with my special ed students in 4 classes.

We then look at gpa, class performance, teacher recommendations, etc. Yes, we give the SRI to verify that the students have been properly placed and if they later test out, the SRI is one of indicators that they are ready to transition back into the traditional classes.

AskDee

It will be good to hear from different schools.  There is a general information document about selection criteria that I have posted at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=737. Dee

Hi Mrs.K, Our district has had Read 180 for a number of years. Each site might tweek the qualifiers for Read 180 a bit but for the most part the elementary schools are very similar. Most of us do start looking at possible candidates in May before the year is out. We look at all 3rd graders that have had some sort of intervention during that school year. That intervention occured due to their CSTs from the previous year. For 4th grade placement into Read 180 we are looking at SRIs between 250-400. Of course that is just a spring board because we are also waiting for test scores to come in and compare SRIs with CSTs. We will definitely be looking at all kids that come in at Below Basic and Far Below Basic to determine the kids that would best benefit from the program. If their CSTs come in BB or FBB but their SRI is below the 250 we will look at other programs that might better meet the students needs since that 200-250 is where they need to be to be able to successfully access the curriculum. That however does not mean that some BR kids can not be successful - they absolutely can, we have just found that the kids that are the MOST successful and make the greatest gains are those that fall above that 250ish mark. Most importantly though - I believe every case has got to be looked at individually. When you start to get to rigid with your qualifications kids lose out so it is good to have criteria but also the best to be open minded about specific needs etc. I hope that helps. Just an opinion from someone who continues to learn everyday of how to make this the BEST possible program for our students. Good luck to you!!!

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next