Discussion
Quick writes

Do you grade their quickwrites? If so how do you keep up with it? If you don't grade them, what do you do with them? I don't feel like the students should do them if I'm not going to do something with them. Suggestions.

By dkb2930
Posted on: May 19 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
14 Comments
  • Hello! I do grade the quickwrites (which gets kind of redundant since I read the same one 10-15 times throughout the year, but, whatever). Students will complete them because they're linked to each student's quarterly goals. For example, a student determines their "page goal" (number of pages) at the beginning of the quarter and, for each book they read, they complete a quickwrite in order to get credit for it. It's more correcting on my part but it also ensures that students take time to understand what they read. Hope this helps!

I always check them over.  I don't have my kids do all of the questions though.  They would avoid reading if they had to do every question.  I let them choose two they want to answer and tell them that they have to do an awesome job on them.  They must be accurate with the GO and do a great Job on the QW before they get a Ticket to take a Reading Counts Quiz.  I found that if I did not check the work students were doing a slip shod job and then not passing the RCQuiz. My distirct does not give grades for READ 180. I wish we did.

I have substituted the Quickwrites with open-ended questions that mirror those given on our state testing.  Students have to respond to the question in a paragraph using information from the story to support their answer/opinion - and I definitely grade them.  Debbie

AskDee

Although I like the QuickWrites, I also think what Debbie has done is very useful for her students. They are very well done.  She has put many hours of work into developing her substitutes.  I am sure they work well for her students and might give you some ideas of a way to adapt. Dee

Another important feature of the quick writes is their layout. The graphic organizer is especially helpful for students to organize information and see a structure in their reading and written response.

i laminated one set of quickwrites and placed them in a QW file for my students to pull during Ind. Reading and return at the end of their rotation.  They complete the quickwrite answers on a separate piece of paper.  I do grade their answers as a  completion grade and check for complete sentences.  I would like to know more about the Ticket to take a test idea.

I posted it in the resource library under You are Ready to take a Reading Counts Quiz

great resource, thanks for sharing.  I too found some students not putting in the proper effort,  I was able to show that poor work on the GO and QW usually ended in a quiz of 70 or lower.  that connection helped motivate some students as well.

I found that my kids did not really put an effort into doing a good job on the GO or QW's so I made up a ticket that they had to earn before being allowed to try a Reading Counts Quiz.  The students have to submit both the GO and QW's so I can check them over for accuracy and detail.  If I feel like they "get" the book then I staple the Ticket to the pages and they can take the quiz.  If I really don't think they "get" the book I ask them to redo.   Sometimes I will "redo" with them.  It's one way to individualize instruction.  I posted the Ticket in the resource library last school year, but I am not sure what I called it. 

AskDee

You may want to think about quickly :) checking the QuickWrites in Small Group.  Some students need that immediate feedback as they complete them.  As soon as you see a QuickWrite that is not adequately answered, you can address it, and the quality will improve. 

profile photo

I have two levels and many extra libraries, such as the Sprint books, Fact and Fiction, etc. I decided it would be impossible to keep quickwrite pages organized and different sets of books have different kinds of work pages. I decided to create two tri-fold brochures, one each for fiction and non-fiction. They have to fill in all the information about the book including their lexile level and have it approved with initals before they start reading and again before they take the test. I find the questions give me enough information to know if they've done a thorough job of reading.

pearisjo

Do you have a sample of your tri-fold brochure that you could share? That would be great!

Debbie, is there any way to see an example of how you modified the QW questions to help prepare for testing?  That is a great idea.  I am sure it took you a long time, and I would not ask you for all of them, but if I could see an example I definitely think it would help me so I can do that for my students! What a great idea!  :)

Hi SLehner, My Open-Ended Questions are now all available in the Community Resource Library. You can search the resources for open-ended questions, or use the links below.  The 1st link includes questions for all the books I have done to-date.  I'm hoping that anyone who uses them and crestes questions for books not included will add theirs to the Resource Library for us all to use as well.  The 2nd link explains the format I use in my classroom when students answer open-ended questions.  Our SPED test scores jumped 16% this year for the 1st READ 180 group to take our state test (NJ HSPA) and I and our administrators believe that READ 180 and focusing on this important skill (crutial to passing the state test) is why this group of students did so much better. Debbie Open-Ended Questions for Independent Reading: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=889 Answering and Scoring Open-Ended Questions: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=665

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next