Discussion
Types of students?

I was wondering what type of special education students most of you work with in the Read 180 program? Do you also have general education students in the program? Who decides who will benefit from the program?

By kcook
Posted on: May 10 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
13 Comments
  • Thanks so much for the information. I have a meeting tomorrow and it will be helpful. Right now, even though the program was and is funded by special education, we are also allowing general education students who need it to participate. But we have a conflict between our ELA AIS services and the Read 180 program, due to limited time in the schedule.

special education students who a teacher would consider a "struggling reader" is considered for Read 180. This is the first year in my district with the program so I am going to be giving the SRI to all special ed. 5th grade students to give lexile scores to go along with teacher input to make the schedule for next year's 6th grade read 180 classes. overall, any student at or almost at grade level is not appropriate for read 180 in my district, we place them in in-class support. I also had self contained students in my classes. many did well, some could not behaviorally manage the room with so much going on at any given time.

In my district, because the program was purchased with funds dedicated to sped students, it can only be used for them (although I have visions of the lower gen. ed students one day being able to also benefit). In our school, we have several different placement options: General Ed In-Class-Support (those working at or very close to grade-level, but just need additional support with organization), Resource Center (those students who are reading below grade level and/or would not succedd in the ICS-Gen Ed setting because of motivation (or behavior) issues, and REACH (developmentally disabled students many of who are non readers or are expert "word-callers" but have little comprehension skills). The REACH Program has System 44 and READ 180. Resource Center (9th grade = 90 minute class; 10th grade = 45 min. class) has READ 180, but not System 44 at this time although I know a few who could benefit from it. However, until they solve my other scheduling horror - VoTech students scheduled for 45 minutes only in my 90 minute classes - I cannot handle more. As it is, I have little flexibility in forming my small groups because I must take all 4 VoTech students together, leaving 5 students each in groups 2 & 3. Debbie

Thanks Demmy for your input...greatly appreciated.

On our campus, struggling readers and ESL students are participating in the program. The criteria for "struggling reader" is low test scores, lexiles, etc. My ESL students have done very well with the program.

Our district used Ohio Achievement Test scores (OAT) when determining eligibility for the program.  If a student scored below a certain number (which I can't remember) in Reading, he or she was eligible for for READ 180.  They could not have an IEP for Reading or be receiving ESL or ELL services.  They had to be gen ed and there was a score range that was targeted. 

Our ELL teachers instruct READ 180 so there is about 80% ELLs and 20% non-ELLs. Some SPED students are in the class---it just depends on their IEP. We select students based on their test scores, class performance, and teacher information about reading level.

AskDee

We used READ 180 for both SPED and general education students.  Usually, there were more general education students in READ 180 classes than SPED.  Some schools have only SPED students in READ 180.  Whatever you decide, remember that READ 180 is designed for students reading at least two years below grade level.  I uploaded a document to the Resources a while ago that gives general guidelines for student selection.  You can find it at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=737 Dee

My READ 180 classes consist of Regular Ed., Special Ed., and a few ELL students.  There are other READ 180 classes strictly for Special Ed. students and taught by a certified Special Ed. teacher.  We do not have paraeducators working with us.  One of my friends in a neighboring county teaches READ 180 classes with Regular Ed and Special Ed. students, and she has a paraeducator who works with her.  It would be nice having a paraeducator there to assist. 

I'm not sure if it is federal sped law or NJ sped law, but if I have 10 or more special ed students in a resource center class - which my READ 180 classes are, there must be a paraprofessional in the class. Best case scenario would be to have one more computer, not including your teacher computer, than your largest group. That way students can take their book quizzes and not short their computer rotation. Also, I use my teacher computer for small group a lot. In addition, my district does not allow students on teacher computers and teacher logins do not work on student computers - it's a security issue. Debbie

Ihave three student computers so I am only allowed 9 kids per class.  I have been using our teacher computer as a fourth so technically I could have 12.  The key is to have 3 times the number of students as computers.  If you don't your rotations won't work.   

This year our selection process was based strictly by scores and schedules. Since READ 180 started mid marking period the kids could only be pulled from "unified arts" classes.  (Music, computer, or art) Next year the district will be looking at scores, teacher recommendation, and behavior.  It is sad to say, but some seats were taken by kids unable to accept the success that was offered them.  Their problems stemmed from baggage that even READ 180 could not address. I hope that they get the help they need form the appropriate sources.  The district is drawing up guidelines for exit criteria for scenarios such as these. If only there were an easy fix for these kids.

Thanks for all your help. The info was so valuable. Do you have a limit as to how many students are in each class? I personally have 2 classes with 11, and that is not easy. As I said before, we're looking to expand next year so I'm a little concerned about numbers.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next