Discussion
Student finished software way too early?!?!?!?!

I have a student who scores high on the SRI and does pretty well on his software segments but is really slow when working in his rBook and seems to have comprehension problems. Somehow, he has finished all of his topic software on the computer but it's only April!!!! What do I do with him? How will I continue to grade him for the rest of the year??? Anyone experience this before? This kid scores high but isn't and I don't know what to do!

By AlisonH
Posted on: April 19 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
19 Comments
  • If the student was in a level other than Level 4, you can go into SAM and reset his READ 180 topic software to the next higher level. He'll get the same video stories, but the reading material will be at a higher level and more in depth. Debbie

I moved him to a level 4, months ago, when I noticed he was finishing the topic software way too fast. I like the idea of doing other scholastic activities online. I will look into that. I am also going to give him a hard copy of the SRI to see how well he scores. This kid is patting himself on the back (sigh) but this is NOT a good thing that he's finished so early!!!

AskDee

We did have some students repeat the software at Level 4.  We had to re-enter them in the software under a different name.  It is not the best solution. Sometimes the students are not going to the Reading Zone first.  Requiring them to go to the Reading Zone first and completing two questions before going to the other zones slows some students down a bit.  My sister likes for the students to read the passage three times before answering the questions.  Read it once as it is read to them.  Read it again without recording it.  Then read it while recording it.  That would slow the students down considerably. Also, Debbie has posted a Success Zone grading sheet at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=733.  That might help slow some students down and make them more conscientious.

>Ashley - I had a similar problem last year with a student. She completed the word and spelling zones in 1-2 days, and then the software gave her all the comprehension questions at once as that was all she had left. I convinced her to slow herself down - reading the passage at least two or three times before she went on to answer the 2 questions - and then only answering 2 a day. This way she had more experience with the passage. Another option would be to print copies of the article for the student to use when answering the question. >>Alison - how about re-adding him as a new student in SAM under a different logon. He could either retake the SRI, or you can manually add his last Lexile. Then, have him do what I suggested to Ashley above. >>>I was having problems with my students flying through the Success Zone - 7 minutes and done all 3 parts. Of course, most had poor results. Part of the problem is that many students think that finishing fast is good, or haven't developed the patience needed to work out difficult problems - an important test taking and life skill. When I saw this happening and realized why, I started to require that students earn Success Zone Stars (getting the Discrepancy Passage on the 1st try, scoring better than 70% on the Context Passage, and doing well on the Fluency passage). This marking period, I am requiring 4 SZ Stars (Stars will replace lower grades in the SZ) and all SZ Stars over 4 are extra credit - a big incentive. Almost all students who have hit the SZ this MP earned a star, some have 2 stars already. They can't wait for me to check their SZ - and expect me to know 30 seconds after they finished! Debbie

thanks for the grolier link, is it free for read 180 students? 

A couple weeks ago we lost our READ 180 software. I can't even get into the Scholastic Management Suite. A work order has been put in, but who knows how long it will take, if we even get it back at all. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should use to replace the computer time?. I really want to find something that will enable the students to continue practicing their reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary. Anyone have any ideas? 

I suggest you do some research into the student's middle school assessment performance, if he's in high school, or research his elementary assessment test scores if he's in middle school.  That's one of the first things I do at the start of the school year so I will have some data on the students's reading proficiency.  What criteria is being used to place students in your classes?  Schools should be utilizing several data to place students in READ 180 class. 

I have had this happen to me and found out that it had something to do with the Quick time software version.  Fortunately, it was only one computer. the scholastic tech guy was sitting there when it happened. It was only the READ 180 software that disappeared so we could still uset he SRC and SRI and rSkills test. WE started the year off with out computers and worked with two rotations.  We did the whole group, small group and independent reading rotations.  The kids were not thrilled, but  when we started with the computers two months later they were so thankful they got right to work. You might try using the paper copy of the software passages as well as the QuickWrites and Graphic Organizers to "tide you over." I would suggest you start a read aloud if you have not already. My kids love to be read to. See if you can find a book that has a SRC quiz.  I would check out the extension projects that the community posts. Best wishes!  Remind the kids you are all in this together. What are you doing in AE? I did not know that READ 180 was over there!

I have a similar problem, the student breezes through the spelling and word zone in a day, but the reading comprehension is too low to move her beyond the level 2; also her SRI is right in the middle of level 2; I can't get her to put more quality into her reading zone recordings and her comrehension is an average of 75-85 for most success zones, but at times its in the 60's. She finishes each zone very fast, but I don't feel comfortable moving her to level 3 because her comprehension is still low.

thanks for the suggestions;  this student has the same overconfidence in her other classes too.  every part they work on gets graded, she is just difficult to motivate.  I will try your suggestions.  

drcorbin

What level was he working on? The topic software may have been too easy, and it sounds as though he should have been working on at least level 3 or 4. What is his SRI score? How does it compare to other achievement tests he's taken? A lot of kids work better on the computer, but his basic comprehension shouldn't be so drastically different. You might want to have him work on other kinds of online activities during his small group computer time. Try the Scholastic.com online activities, many of which go along with the topics in 180. He might like doing the webquests and games there. I wonder about the difference in his affect when he's working on the computer and reading from printed text. You could try giving him a paper and pencil form of the SRI to see if he does as well. Interesting case!

I require the students in my class to listen to the recording two times and record themselves reading two times BEFORE answering the comprehension questions.  For a Level 4 reader, that should really take some time.  In order to build their fluency, I find that these repeated readings are necessary.

If your student needs justification for whay they need to repeat the software, you could show him/her their scores on the software. When my students are satisfied with a low score, I like to compare their work to what an employer would expect. I don't know any employer who would accept 70%, or even 80% of a job done right... You can use the Student Reading Report, the Student Segment Status Report, and I think the Grading Report for this. Debbie

SuzannePuccerella

There is also the READ 180 Xtra Topic Software - which includes 3 new Literature and the Arts Topics. Another idea, is to extend student learning on the Software with the Grolier Online connections - this was students are still reading about the topics, but at a higher lexile. http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/grolier/r180ra.htm

chrisSLEMS

That must be so difficult, I have trouble when my computers are down for 2 days! One thing I do is Use RDI practice sheet for the comprehension piece; read and summarize, cause and effect, main idea, all the thing my kids need to review. You might try a spelling game/word game like matching or Concentration. These are not things you can do day after day but they can keep the kids focused on the skills of reading, not just the books.

How do you go in and change from level 1 to level 2

In SAM, click on the student's name. Then go to READ 180 in the box toward the bottom of that page. You can click on Grading (for fluency grading) or Settings. Go to Settings. You can choose to change the software level here. Normally, it will take effect when they start the next Topic "CD" but you can just delete the remaining Topic CD Segments if you want the change to occur immediately. (That might be done on the next tab behind the 1st one). Be sure to save your change for it to take effect. Debbie

AskDee

Debbie is right.  To skip to the next Topic CD, there is a tab within the READ 180 Settings screen called the Topic Manager.  To move the student immediately to the new level, you need to skip the current Topic CD.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next