Discussion
ITS

At our last in-service, one of the teachers talked about how she used her ITS one a white board.  She used the white board as a screen, had the kids edit a paragraph, and then clicked the "Answers On" button. The correct answers were displayed for the kids to see. 

I tried it in class and it was great.  At first, the kids were a little goofy about blocking the text from the screen.  Once we got that out of our systems it worked well.  One of my small groups had only one girl in attendance and she was totally engaged.  A complete 180 for her!

Does anyone else use the ITS like this or in any other unique manner?

By jodieo1
Posted on: April 03 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
10 Comments
  • What a great idea! I will definitely try that next workshop.

If they opt in be sure to have a computer that can be dedicated to it or at least have the ability to have BOTH your monitor and projector hooked up at all times.  I can't "toggle" between the two and have to connect/disconnect the monitor/LCD every time I want to use it. I am Happy to have the computers that I do have.  We taught without them for two months! I am hoping to have a better system for next year. It's one of the summer projects I want to work on.

chrisSLEMS

I have 6 computers so my desktop "teacher" computer is always hooked to my projector, I use it to widen the learning path of the Workshops. Use of outside "enrichment" materials is what can turn Read 180 from the dreaded canned program into the teaching tool we all, obviously, believe can change our students lives!

chrisSLEMS

My district hasn't decided to opt in on ITS. I wish they would, I think it would really engage our visual learners!

I agree, the zoom is great; you can zoom in to over 1000%; everyone can see the words/answer in zoom

I am going to put the bug in my administrators ear that for next year I need a computes set up so ITS is always accessible.  We have 4 computers in class and that is including the "teacher" computer. Using ITS for a lesson leaves us with only 3 computers. I feel like I'm all dressed up with no where to go!  

I have found that the ideal and most efficient number of student computers is one more than your largest group. My largest group is 5, so 6 computers are ideal. This allows students to take their Reading Counts tests during their reading time on the extra computer, or a student to come down during his study hall to make up computer time. In addition, as the teacher, you need a dedicated computer to use during both whole and small group, plus it is essential when conferencing with students using SAM reports. My Smartboard is at the front of my classroom. We use it during whole group daily. Plus, I have rearranged my class so I have small group at the front row of tables which is directly in front of the Smartboard. I also use tables, not individual desks because of a suggestion made at NSI 2009. They make group work easier (Think-Pair-Share, etc). Debbie

SuzannePuccerella

The Zoom To tool (looks like a magnifying glass) is a great feature that allows you to highlight an area of the ITS page that you want the student to focus on. This is especially useful if you want to focus students’ attention on the “Big Idea” question, or the writing model. Once used, the button will turn into a 100% button that will bring the page back to 100% when clicked.     Personally, I think this is a great tool that helps keep students' focus on what you as the teacher want them to focus on.           

chrisSLEMS

Debbie's right about needing 6 computers, I find that everything runs so much smoother when the extra is used for Reading Counts Quizzes. Read 180 gets preference for upgrades and service in my district. I hope they'll go for the ITS, and maybe spring for some Smartboards @ the Middle school! We have 1 ! And its used all the time across the hall. Chris

Hello! I teach sped, so I know how hard it is to get any kind of technology.  I just wanted to pass on two ideas: See if your admin can find $400 in the budget for an airliner instead of the Smartboard.  It's the size of a notebook.  I have trouble with it, but one more experienced with it can probably write to where it doesn't look like a kindergartener's penmanship.   Another idea- see if the Wiimote interactive whiteboard system would work.  I think you can get a nice setup for $100 or less. There is a youtube video that explains how to do it, and you can google the accessories if you want to buy them.  (I haven't tried it, but one of our Read 180 teachers has...)

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next