Discussion
profile photo
How do you assign grades?

How do you assign grades in your class? Since kids are below grade level, can they still earn an A in the class?

Any info/ideas would be appreciated.

Ptz

By ptz
Posted on: January 20 2010
Flag this discussion
Share:
12 Comments
  • There is a discussion further down the Stage B Message Board page that discusses grading and gives a Resource link for Dee's "Thoughts on grading READ 180."  That might help answer your questions.  Debbie

AskDee

Thanks for referring her to the "Thoughts on Grading" document.  Your question brings up a point which is not addressed in that document--"Can READ 180 students earn an A?"  That is a question that goes to the heart of grading and what your school's philosophy is about grading.  I am always reluctant to tell a student that because the student is in a certain class that earning an A is not possible.  If your school happens to have that as a policy, I think I would lobby for READ 180 to be graded as Pass/Fail so the students would not penalized for taking READ 180.  Dee

Students enrolled in my READ180 classroom earn letter grades. I issue grades for the following: Reading Logs Reading Counts Quizzes Workshop Wrap Ups Homeworks (these are completion grades) Small Group Participation Whole Group Participation Software Score Journal Entries Other writing projects (beyone the READ180 curriculum) Spelling (beyond the READ180 curriculum) Bell Ringers Note Checks

AskDee

Some of you may want to refer to the resources for assessng the flency recordings that are included in the Resources.  You can find them by doing a keyword search on "fluency."

My district does not grade students enrolled in READ180.  I am not sure why this is the case.  For some, it does not effect their effort/performance; for others, it makes a huge difference.  One girl was suspended and I provided work for her to complete.  When she came back to school she told me she did not do it "I had more important work to do from classes I get a grade in!"  I believe that grades would help my students be more accountable.  I know they are below grade level in reading.Grades would not be based on reading level.  Instead, achievement in the READ180 classroom would be the basis for grades.   When I check the Grading Report I can see a correlation between effort and grades. I would not rely solely on this report for assigning grades though.  I would take into account SRI results, Whole and Small Group achievement, Independent Reading goals, as well as any extension projects completed.  The majority of students would be pleased with their grades they earned and I would stress that the grades were EARNED not GIVEN.

I do daily bell assignments that are due on Fridays. The bell assignments are practice questions from our Mississippi State Test. Keeping up with their work until Friday helps teach the kids responsibility. I give a percentage each Friday for the bell assignments. Weekly I add the grades from the grading report into my Excel gradebook. Each fluency gets a grade. The lowest fluency is still a 50, so even if the kids attempt a Success Zone fluency reading, they will receive at least a 50. Most of the time, they get a 70 or 80. Each book quiz counts, even if they retake the quiz, the old grade counts, too. My students are required to do quickwrites and graphic organizers for each book that they read and each of them counts as a grade. The work we do in small group and whole group counts as a grade, but for the most part we do it together, so the kids are basically getting participation grades. They keep up with their 15 vocabulary words throughout the Workshop and the vocabulary count as a grade. I give a multiple choice vocabulary test after we do the Word Challenge which counts as a grade. The Workshop Wrap-Up is open-book and counts as a grade. The rSkills test counts as a grade. I also give students homework from the Test-Taking Strategies book twice a week which counts as a grade. I give random participation grades that are based on behavior and offer extra credit occassionally. One extra credit was when the kids looked up the boy who was struck by lightning that we read about in the rBook. They brought me internet articles about the event. We got a lot of new information about him from the articles they found. They also looked up articles on child labor. We do projects once in a while to break the monotony of the class and to address objectives that are not covered in the rBook, such as tools of persuasion, mythology, and researching. The kids really like the projects. I count all tests, participation, projects, classwork, and homework equally. You can't really have one without the other. By the end of a nine-weeks grading period, I usually have about 50-75 grades for each student. This allows me drop a number of grades and help out the students who aren't usually A-students. I never drop tests, but anything else is a possibility. I have mostly B-C students with a few A's each nine weeks. This is a lot of work, but it works best for me, my school, and my students.

My grade book is set up like this: Reading 25% --Includes: Weekly Logs, Reading Counts Quizzes, QuickWrites and Graphic Organizers Participation 25% --Includes: Rotating to appropriate area in classroom when requested to do so (Computer, Silent Reading, or Small Group,) Upkeep of Notebook, Daily Classwork Computer Software 25% --Includes: READ180 Software generated grade (vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, spelling, and context) Tests & Quizzes 25% --Includes: rBook Workshop Checks, End of Workshop Tests, rSkills Tests on computer If you need further details, please let me know. :)

My grade book is set up like this Classwork - 30%, Homwork 20%, test and quizes - 20%, projects and essays 30%. Classwork is made up of a weekly participation grade created from a daily 4 point rubric for each center rotation, completion of weekly reading logs, and random assignments from the R-book. Homework is a weekly vocabulry worksheet. Test and Quizes are from the books read a workshops. Projects and essays are made up of writing assignments and projects.

Using SAM, I run the report called "Grading."  I only use the following columns for normal grades: Comprehension, Vocabulary, Spelling, and Reading Counts Quizzes.  I use the other columns for extra points if a student is new to reading english and needs more points to boost their grade, because I believe students need to have success on smaller goals in order to achieve higher goals later.  I also take grades for class participation which includes rotating quickly and quietly, workbook progress, Red Routine use, and being helpful to others.  I also listen to their recordings from SAM and assign a grade based on the rubric Scholastic provides.  The last grade of the quarter is from their work on the writing piece.  We start with the paragraph scaffold, and then I require (scaffolded when needed) that to be expanded into a 5-paragraph essay that is written in final form.   Robyn

At the present time in our district, our report cards have for K-6 two boxes labelled accommodations and modifications that are checked by the homeroom teachers.  This sends a message to the parents that what grades the students with IEPs have earned A, B, C, D, F etc. were earned with accommodations and/or modifications. There is a sheet, I learned about last December (too late to get it out to all 7th and 8th graders) that is to be added to the reportcard stating about the accommodations and modifications... the jury still out (can't get a clear answer) whether this form is to be used our not. ~NWeisz~

Ride the ferry to New Orleans, ride the streetcar to zoo, Audubon Zoo PRICELESS

+Appropriate for students in both READ 180 and System 44 **Appropriate for students in READ 180 ~Appropriate for students in System 44 Suggested Sources for Participation Grades (33%) Suggested Sources for Major Grades (67%) 1st and 3rd Nine Weeks 1st and 3rd Nine Weeks Whole-Group and Small-Group Instruction Whole-Group and Small-Group Instruction +rBook Activities +Anchor Video View Guides (available on JPPSS Central Desktop) +Test Taking Strategies lessons +Resources for Differentiated Instruction activities +Student Portfolios +Student Conferences +Homework Reading Log **First Draft of Compositions ~Smart Lesson Quick Assessments ~Code Lesson Practice Page ~Differentiated Support Activities +Teacher Made Vocabulary Tests +Interval Assessments **rSkills tests **SAM rSkills Student Progress Report **Workshop Wrap-up **Final Draft of Compositions **SAM Resources—keyword type of writing Rubric (i.e., Expository Rubric) **SAM Resources—rSkills Progress Monitoring Tests ~SAM Resources System 44--Assessments Instructional Software Instructional Software **SAM READ 180 Reading Progress Report (Average Session Length of 16 to 17 minutes, Words Read) **Topic Software Quickwrites ~SAM System 44 Reading Progress Report (Median Session Time, Words Read) +Oral Fluency Assessment **SAM Read 180 Grading Report (Comprehension Score, Vocabulary Score, Word Fluency Score, Final Fluency Recording, Context Passage) ~SAM System 44 Reading Progress Report (Oral Reading Fluency, Comprehension, Decoding Fluency, Decoding Accuracy) Modeled and Independent Reading Modeled and Independent Reading +Reading Logs +Quickwrites +Comprehension Graphic Organizers +SAM Reading Counts! Reading Progress Report (Average Quiz Score) +SAM Reading Counts! Student Quiz Success Report (Quiz Scores, Points Earned) +Book Talks Whole-Group Wrap-Up +Journals +Exit Slips +Appropriate for students in both READ 180 and System 44 **Appropriate for students in READ 180 ~Appropriate for students in System 44 Suggested Sources for Participation Grades (25%) Suggested Sources for Major Grades (50%) Suggested Sources for Exam Grades (25%) 2nd and 4th Nine Weeks 2nd and 4th Nine Weeks 2nd and 4th Nine Weeks Whole-Group and Small-Group Instruction Whole-Group and Small-Group Instruction +Modeled and Independent Reading +Book Projects +Teacher constructed written exam (multiple choice & constructed response) +Oral Presentations on Books **SAM Resources rBook Mid-Year and End of Year Tests **rBook Workshop Projects http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/read180/community/teachingresources/rbooks_B.htm ~SAM Resources—Mid-year and End of Year Summative Assessments +rBook Activities +Anchor Video View Guides (available on JPPSS Central Desktop) +Test Taking Strategies lessons +Resources for Differentiated Instruction activities +Student Portfolios +Student Conferences +Homework Reading Log **First Draft of Compositions ~Smart Lesson Quick Assessments ~Code Lesson Practice Page ~Differentiated Support Activities +Teacher Made Vocabulary Tests +Interval Assessments **rSkills tests **SAM rSkills Student Progress Report **Workshop Wrap-up **Final Draft of Compositions **SAM Resources—keyword type of writing Rubric (i.e., Expository Rubric) **SAM Resources—rSkills Progress Monitoring Tests ~SAM Resources System 44--Assessments Instructional Software Instructional Software **SAM READ 180 Reading Progress Report (Average Session Length of 16 to 17 minutes, Words Read) **Topic Software Quickwrites ~SAM System 44 Reading Progress Report (Median Session Time, Words Read) +Oral Fluency Assessment **SAM Read 180 Grading Report (Comprehension Score, Vocabulary Score, Word Fluency Score, Final Fluency Recording, Context Passage) ~SAM System 44 Reading Progress Report (Oral Reading Fluency, Comprehension, Decoding Fluency, Decoding Accuracy) Modeled and Independent Reading Modeled and Independent Reading +Reading Logs +Quickwrites +Comprehension Graphic Organizers +SAM Reading Counts! Reading Progress Report (Average Quiz Score) +SAM Reading Counts! Student Quiz Success Report (Quiz Scores, Points Earned) +Book Talks Whole-Group Wrap-Up +Journals +Exit Slips Hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will send the page to you. Steph

I think this is a difficult part of the READ 180 class.  I use reports from software zone to help with assigning grades.  I also grade their paperwork from the Ind. Reading Zone. (reading logs, vocab logs, quick writes, and the final project) The hard part is that some kids finish a paperback during a grading period and others do not.  I would also appreciate input on grading.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next