Discussion
NSI 2010

I attended the 2009 NSI and had a wonderful time. The workshops, presenters, and schedule was awesome. However, I do have two suggestions for the 2010 NSI (which I plan to attend). I am my district's READ 180/Scholastic's Products Person-to-come-to and the plan is for me to help train and answer questions for other teachers in our 3-school district. Last year when I scheduled my workshop attendance, I was only able to select workshops within my listed position (READ 180 teacher). However, there were some workshops that were Leadership workshops I would have liked to sign up for in advance. Could there be a section for "undeclared" attendees that would allow myself and others in my position to sign up for the workshops we need? A list of suggested workshops would also be nice. ALSO.... One opportunity I would have liked is to be able to meet other educators who teach the same READ 180 Level (C, in my case). A few suggestions on how this could be set up... 1) have a separate workshop for this purpose and withing that, separate the Level A's, Level B's, Level C's, FLEX, etc. 2) Use the lunch and breakfast tables and time by labeling tables Level C, Level A, etc. to promote discussion, 3) After all the day's workshops, there were booths set up that attendees could chack out other Scholastic Resources. It was in the back of the ballroom. The other tables in the ballroom could be used as an opportunity for attendees to meet other educators in their Level, or state, or region, etc.

Posted on: December 30 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
22 Comments
  • Great suggestions, Ashley. You are exactly right about Tech Support. They try to be helpful, but I've been online with them for over an hour at times. I am still having issues with 1.9, but hesitate to call because I just don't have the time. Debbie

Excellent point. I also hope there will be more classes offered on using SAM and the ins and outs to navigate all the settings for students and how to change settings if a student struggles etc.  It would be great to discuss with the tech personnel about issues we are having with the software and find out ways to trouble shoot.   The tech hotline is helpful but takes so long.  

I think the idea of having tables labeled with Stage A, B, and C is a great idea for mealtimes. That's where a lot of my networking happened... at meals! The social time at the end of each day is a great time to have designated areas for regions or states to facilitate discussions.

Hi! Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestions!  We are always looking for feedback regarding the National Summer Institute and appreciate you sharing your ideas with the Community! I will pass along your great ideas to the director of the Institute for this year!  Additionally, we have heard from several educators from across the Community that they really want a chance to connect at the Institute and network with one another, therefore, we are hoping to include a Workshop which will allow educators to meet and stay in touch throughout the school year! Thank you again for your ideas! Please let us know if you have any additional feedback! -Laura

I have a question for the planners of NSI 2010, in reference to the meal options. Everything was very elegant last year, but is it possible for you to offer vegetarian/vegan options? I try not to be a pain about it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't eat meat/dairy out of the entire conference. Thank you so much for a great NSI last year, I look forward to this year. - ashley

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I will be attending the NSI for the first time this summer and have a few questions.  Is dress casual? Can I bring my laptop to sessions?  Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie? I am really excited!

Dress is business casual. I wore crop pants with a cardigan or jacket as the air conditioning can make the meeting rooms cool. I brought one casual dress and did wear it, but would have been fine without it, too. I'm not sure about beinging laptops to the workshops - but am pretty sure the hotel gives the Scholastic attendees free wireless access in our rooms - at least they did last year. Scholastic, is that the same this year? You'll have a great time. Perhaps I'll see you there! Debbie

Hi L_Magro_NewBuffaloHS I am so glad you will be joining us at the 2010 READ 180 National Summer Institute in Nashville, Tennessee!  I would like to confirm that the hotel features complimentary in-room high-speed Internet access for all guests.  If you would like to bring your laptop to take notes that is absolutely fine, but it is not required.  Computers will be provided for all sessions that require Online access.  Please contact read180community@scholastic.com if you have any additional questions about the Institute!  Thank you! -Laura

Hi L_Magro_NewBuffaloHSI am so glad you will be joining us at the 2010 READ 180 National Summer Institute in Nashville, Tennessee!  I would like to confirm that the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center features complimentary in-room high-speed Internet access for all guests.  If you would like to bring your laptop to take notes that is absolutely fine, but it is not required.  Computers will be provided for all sessions that require Online access.  Please contact read180community@scholastic.com if you have any additional questions about the Institute! Thank you!-Laura

LOCATION CHANGE FOR THE READ 180 NATIONAL SUMMER INSTITUTE! Due to flooding in Nashville, TN, the Gaylord Opryland Hotel is now closed. The 2010 READ 180 National Summer Institute will be held: July 25—28, 2010 The Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel & Resort Orlando, FL We realize many of you have already made your travel plans for Nashville, Tennessee. If you have confirmed travel arrangements, please visit our LOCATION CHANGE INFORMATION page for information about rescheduling your travel to Orlando, Florida.

The National Summer Institute will now be held in Orlando, Florida at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel! If you registered already, you should be receiving an email soon, if not already. I received an email today, but it went to my junk mail. Luckily, I caught it. The dates remain the same. Debbie

LOCATION CHANGE FOR THE READ 180 NATIONAL SUMMER INSTITUTE! Due to flooding in Nashville, TN, the Gaylord Opryland Hotel is now closed. The 2010 READ 180 National Summer Institute will be held: July 25—28, 2010 The Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel & Resort Orlando, FL We realize many of you have already made your travel plans for Nashville, Tennessee. If you have confirmed travel arrangements, please visit our LOCATION CHANGE INFORMATION page for information about rescheduling your travel to Orlando, Florida.

Are they trying to keep the same dates? or is all up in the air?  its horrible to see such destruction.  

this location is great.  3 miles away is universal studios; disney and sea world are really close too!

I know I asked this before, but the information has been buried.  Are you attending NSI in Orlando?  Will this be your first NSI, or have you attended before?  I will be attending NSI (for my 2nd time) along with a friend who is teaching READ 180/System 44 in another school district for the 1st time.  I'd love to meet everyone in person -to put a face with your community voice. I wonder if Scholastic will mark our badges as a community member.  I attended another event for my husband's business and they added an extra ribbon stating that I am a community member. Hope to see you thers, Debbie

profile photo

I really wish our district had the funds to send all of our Read 180 teachers to NSI this year. Every year our district has had the most teachers attend from all over the country. I would love to be there especially to honor and congratulate Andrea Barnes, 2010 Stage B Outstanding Educator, who is from our district. If you get a chance, try to meet her. She is an amazing teacher and I have truly enjoyed getting to know her this past year!

what a great summer institute.  scholastic did a great job again.  I will be instituting all the great things I learned starting with a new rubric. once I finish my rubric I will post to resources, hope others will share as well.  

When you're at the NSI, be sure and stop by the community booth in the Exhibition Hall and introduce yourself!  Looking forward to seeing everyone in Orlando!        

I am also attending NSI for the first time and the only one from my district.  I am a high school teacher and am really looking forward to this conference.  I hope to network with other Read 180 educators who teach Level C.

I am looking forward to attending the conference next week. It will be the first NSI I have attended. I am the only one from my district attending so I will be looking for informed people to pal around with. I hope to have lots of networking time. Being new to using the program I have questions that I don't even yet know I have. Hopefully I'll have answers before I even knew I had the question. I can't wait to get to NSI. See everyone in Orlando.

Hello Newbies, You are going to LOVE the institute! People are VERY friendly. I have always traveled alone and the Scholastic support staff makes sure to have all of the "lonely onlys" stand up to be welcomed and they encourage teachers sitting by them to quickly befriend them. I have always been welcomed at the breakfast and lunch tables - you will be too.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next