Discussion
AskDee
Exit Criteria

Most schools set their own assessment criteria to determine each student’s competence to move beyond the READ 180 classroom (meeting an identified proficiency benchmark or showing sustained performance reading and comprehending grade-level text). Students may also leave the program when leaving the school or when making way for students to enter who demonstrate greater need.  What is the exit criteria used in your school?

By AskDee
Posted on: December 11 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
11 Comments
  • profile photo

Haven't heard of any criteria for exiting the program.However, it has been mentioned by my building administrators that if someone tests really high we might consider replacing them with another student who shows greater need.As I finish up the SRI I have some who are lower than I expected and some higher than I ever dreamed. They were selected for the program before I was hired based upon standardized test scores. I suspect that a few may have performed poorely on those tests due to behavior issues not academic ones.

I was told by my SPED administrators that the "exit criteria" for Read 180 would be if a student raised his/her lexile above 1000. I teach high school btw

My high school's exit criteria is similar - 1050 Lexile and A/B's for grades. Debbie

When expectations are set high for all students, students often strive to meet those expectations. I feel that students who score above 1000 on the SRI, have made significant progress as evidenced by the READ 180 data reports, and have good grades in their other classes should have a right to exit the program. After all, isn't that the purpose of READ 180-to help struggling readers do a "180"? Then, mission accomplished!! Having a READ 180 waiting list can help ensure that all seats are filled throughout the year.

profile photo

Here in Milwaukee, we have teachers triangulate the SRI with two other test sources to make sure students are able to handle thet transition into their regular ELA classes. We use the SRI, the district benchmark assessments, and any other assessment piece that teachers might have. Teachers also have to meet with an "exit team" that includes an administrator and literacy coach to decide if students have met the exit criteria we have established.

AskDee

I have posted a document that someone created for studnet selection and exit criteria.  It is by no means definitive.  I am pleased to see that many are using multiple measures.  The document is at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=737.

amzahn

If I suspect a student has leveled out of READ 180 I complete a Case Study that includes the SRI score and a BRI (Basic Reading Inventory) battery. If the two correlate, I recommend the student for exit out of the program. So far this year I have had three students complete the program.

For my class of 6-8th graders, I use a combination of classroom grades(including topic software data and RC quizzes, rskills tests, and a lexile of 1000+. I also consider work ethic, behavior and out of classroom support.

I'm so confused...We are scheduling for next year and trying to figure out which students should be moved out of Read 180 into a balanced lit class. I teach in a middle school--we have 6th-7th-8th, one regular ed and one special ed class of Read 180 for each grade level, so there are only 30 spots per year, per grade level. We don't move anyone out mid-year. We are trying to decide if we should move kids out who are scoring proficient right now--according to Scholastic that's 800 for 6th and 850 for 7th...the 8th graders are going to the high school and we don't have Read 180 there so that's not an issue. Here's the problem: if the student is scoring in the proficient range, and we know the kid can read, but he/she does not put forth the effort in class, and will probably not succeed in the balanced lit class, do we move him/her out of Read 180 or let him/her stay in and take up a spot that someone else could be using to learn to read? It IS a reading program, not a behavior modification program, right? I don't want to push anyone out of the nest who isn't ready to fly successfully, but I don't know if I can address the child's behavioral needs who is lacking effort and motivation while I am trying to teach the struggling non-readers. ESPECIALLY if the non-motivated students are bored and would rather chat with others than work independently like they need to do in 75% of Read 180. Here's another problem: If the student is scoring in the proficient range, and we know the kid can read, but his/her writing skills are so low that we know he/she will be much lower than his/he peers in the regular balanced lit class, do we keep them in Read 180? Again, it IS a reading program, right? And they know how to read...?  I really am confused...Many people say to look at multiple measures, not just the SRI, but we can't get this year's standardized test scores until next year--and we have to do scheduling now, not to mention that those tests incorporate the writing portion scores into the language arts score as well. And honestly, I hate standardized tests  Does anyone have a reliable other assessment they can share? And is testing reading enough? Do they need to excel in writing too? If anyone can help, please answer! 

AskDee

In the Placement, Assessment, and Reporting Guide there is an oral fluency test with norms developed by Hasbrouck and Tindal.  You could use that for one more data point.  Also, use scores from the software to help you in your decision-making process.  The comprehension and vocabulary scores from the Reading Zone are scores that I would consider. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

In my high school, READ 180 is only offered to special ed students in a resource center placement as freshmen for 90 minutes and as sophomores for 45 minutes.  The only class placement options are resource center, in-class support, or general ed, so even if a student is proficient in reading, moving them out of the READ 180 setting during their freshman or sophomore year may not be an option if a student has behavioral or motivational issues.  Writing skills, however, would not keep a student from being placed in ICS as there is a SPED teacher assigned to the class who can give extra help in writing, or make modifications, as needed.  Even a student who is close to proficient, but very motivated, could be considered for ICS as they would continue to improve and grow in the ICS setting.   On the other hand, with Next Generation, there are many opportunities to increase rigor for those proficient in reading, and still give them more support in writing and motivation. However, some students might benefit from a step in between placement options.  They don't need the intensive reading instruction, but need more support and instruction in other areas that would prevent them from learning (i.e. behavior, motivation, writing). It sounds like this may be what some of your students need - that half-step.  (For them, Expert 21 might be a curriculum option.) I agree with you that standardized test scores do not give the whole picture about a student.  However, they can help with decision making when used in conjunction with other factors such as a student's Lexile, motivation, grades, etc. I hope I have helped. Debbie

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next