Discussion
profile photo
less than 90 minutes

Is there anyone out there who has to operate on less that the prescribed 90 minute block?

Posted on: December 10 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
18 Comments
  • At my school we have a double block for language arts classes.  We have 42 minute classes.  So I am very close to the prescribed time, but with a bathroom break required for my 6th graders and end of the day announcements, its hard to always fit in the closure activity.  I have been trying to incorporate some closure activity/discussion at the end of small group if time allows; Its hard to always have time for the wrap up. How much time do you have?

I am having this issue also? So I was wondering what other teachers would suggest? Its hard to get the 20 minutes for each rotation so I cut from the whole group to focus more on the rotations and small group, is this wrong?

SuzannePuccerella

In most classes, 15-20 minutes is the average daily rotation time. We see in many reports less than 20 minutes on the Software - if you needed, try cutting to 17 minute rotations - this might help you get in the wrap-up and time for students to move around.

SuzannePuccerella

Scholastic just posted a great resource in the Resource Library called - Scheduling for Success: Scheduling Guide. You should check it out. Good Luck!

Thank you I am going to review the report

I am operating on less than a 90 minute block--it is more like a 45 minute block of time for my classes six classes (grades 8, 7, and 6). Very unnerving, but I do it. Three days a week I do two rotations of about 15 minutes each with a 10' whole class and five minute wrap-up; two days a week I do a 20 minute whole class and one 15 minute rotation and a five minute wrap-up. It is not ideal, but that is the best I can do with what I have. I do after school hours for any students who want additional time, needs help, or has makeup work on Monday - Thursday and once in a while on Friday. I'm just about fried by Friday afternoon!

I have a crazy READ 180 schedule this year. At the same time, I have eleven READ 180 students for a 90 minute block, plus FOUR READ 180 students for 45 minutes. I have stuggled with this arrangement all year, and have found my best solution to-date. I teach 2 different whole group/small group lessons as my 45 minute group cannot keep up with my 90 minute group. I start each day with my 45's for 20 minutes of WG/SG while my 90's work on either computers or independent reading. Then, 4 days a week, my 45's work on the computer and my 90's come to me for WG. One day a week, on a staggered schedule, my 45's do independent reading with my TA instead of computers. They also read at home for homework. This is assisted by the Reading Contract (see resources) which helps to keep everyone on track. After WG, my 90's have 2 rotations, SG and either computers or reading. This is not ideal and I am hopeful that it will change next year, but it is also the best way my 45 min. students could benefit from the shortened schedule. I tried an A/B schedule, but they were not progressing in the software and too many other issues came up - fire drills, assemblies, absences, etc. Debbie

AskDee

Wow!  I have been trying to figure out what to do when you get a mix of 45-minute students with 90-minute students.  This is so helpful to me!  This situation does not happen very often, but I'm grateful for the input from someone who has addressed the problem.

profile photo

minutes that is. Since I have half the time I used to have, I teach half the lesson today and half the lesson tomorrow. I try and get the students on computer at least three days if not four days a week. You do the best you can with what you have!

WOW! I'm soooooo impressed by those of you who are doing this in less than 90 minutes and finding ways to make it work. I'm blessed to have a 90 minute block, and I still don't get to the wrap up most days. :)

I have a 50 minute block of time as well. This is my modified version and it works for me, but I still feel rushed. 10 minutes Whole Group (2 days from rbook) 2-17 minute rotations (always independent reading and either small group or software) No Wrap Up. On Friday I spend time working with students one on one either goal setting or discussing scores. Students complete this rotation and it allows them a third computer day. It also allows me time to breathe! 5 minutes Whole Group 2-20 minute rotations (always independent reading and software) 5 minutes Wrap Up

AskDee

Chris, I would suggest that you download the Compendium of Research on READ 180 and have it show up on your new principal's desk.  You can find the Compendium at http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/read180/research/.  It is down toward the bottom of the page. I looked at the What Works Clearninghouse reports. They analyze the research, but do not mention the need for following the READ 180 Model. Dee

chrisSLEMS

I met our new Principal last Thurs.  Sadly, another administrator who has never heard of Read 180 and whose knee-jerk reaction is to cut class time to 50 min.!!  (No matter how well you are doing a new broom sweeps through!)  I haven't gotten my new schedule but It looks like I'll be going to a 2-day cycle for the nest 3 years!  I hope the success that the kids have had might temper the wanton changes.

I have 20 students per class for 75-80 minutes.  I try to do 17 minute rotations, but often don't have time for Wrap-up once supplies are put up.  Sometimes I will divide the day into 3 rotations of 21 or 22 minutes and have a wrap-up.  When I just do the 3 rotations, I omit Whole Group and teach the lesson and do guided practice in Small Group.  I only do this if I feel the lesson is best taught in a smaller group setting, or if kids need more Software time.  I find that more than 20 minutes in any rotation is too long for many kids' focus span.  I would love the 90 minutes!

Our high school schedules 45 min. classes so my class is 45 minutes. The students spend every day 20 minutes on computer & 20 min. switching between 2/3 days ind. read or small group. Friday we usually have whole group w/comprehension/vocab games. One year I had 90 min classes, but it was hard to schedule students w/other classes & they felt like they were being punished. The end of year stats didn't constitute staying at 90 so we went back to 45. This is the only reading intervention used & the 4th year I've taught the program.

chrisSLEMS

What a great idea, thanks Dee!   It's on its' way!

Last year for my 45 minute class what we did is follow the 90 minute schedule but spread over 2 days.  So Day 1 was Whole Group and 1 rotation, then Day 2 was rotation 2 and 3.  We just kept repeating this cycle and it worked well, not an ideal situation but it worked.

We do a 45 minute class schedule too.  By the end of the year we finish 3 or 4 workshops.  The kids gained an average of 124 lexile points.  Imagine what a full 90 minute period could do. 

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next