Discussion
AskDee
Tips for New READ 180 Teachers

Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?

By AskDee
Posted on: September 04 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
26 Comments
  • Read 180 teachers may tend to start out running Small Group by having the students simply work through the pages in the rBook; however, we need the rBook to be just a starting point. Teachers can find outside reading passages that relate to the current Workshop's topic and that engage the different groups of students at the levels where they can really learn. I do use the topic and focus of each Workshop, augmenting them with high-interest reading passages. I have learned to keep a notebook of lessons that have worked well so that I can go back to them.

This is my first year with READ180, but the two things I wish I knew at the beginning are the importance of stressing reading within the Targeted Reading Range during Independent Reading rotation and having a readiness check list for the students wanting to take a Reading Counts Quiz.  At the beginning of the year I told the kids they could read books from levels 1 +2.  Part of that was because our computers were delayed by 2 months.  Consequently we were running only two rotations and they were reading books without knowing their Lexile Level.  The kids would finish a book and ask to take a quiz. I would ask if they had completed the GO and QW and of course, they said, "Yes!"  Needless to say quite a few RCQ's were failed.  I now have a procedure in place where the kids have to complete the GO and QW, submit them for review, and wait to be given a Reading Counts Quiz Ticket.  I look at the GO and QW, check the answers, and give them a Ticket only if it seems they have the gist of the book down.  This cuts down on students interrupting small group to ask if they can take a quiz, as well as establishing student accountability for the GO and QW's.

What is the save spot setting? How many words correct to be "recorded"? Some of my students that were having trouble in word/spelling zone did better after we found out that a student is given 30 seconds to get a word spelled correctly, after 30 seconds, even if they spell it right, it doesn't count.   I love this message board, we learn so much from each other! -- ashley  

When we started out READ 180 program, it took our technology department 2 months to set up the computers before we were able to Lexile our students. As I did not want students attempting to read book they were not able to independently read with success, I start my students with audiobooks. After reviewing the books with students, they voted on their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd audiobook choice. I then split students into groups according to their book choices (most were able to read their 1st choice, only 2 were given their 2nd choice). My aide worked with students in their independent reading rotation to model and monitor their audiobook reading and worksheet completion (Vocabulary, GO, and Quichwrites (we have replaced the Quickwrite with open-ended questions to address our state's testing). This worked wonderfully. By the time they finished the audiobooks, the computers were ready and we were able to get their Lexiles for future independent reading. Debbie

profile photo

Love, love, love the idea of a RC ticket!!!!

We were given a Student tip sheet with the following on it: Word and Spelling Zones: To close these zones, go for MASTERY!  Can you prove that you can read and spell them all correctly and fluently?Check your Stats buttons in the Zone Menu to find out how much more you need to do.  What are your Study Words Always look up at the screen before you hit ENTER (or RETURN)! Use the Spelling Clinic buttons when you get stuck. Do you hate having to start over the next day?  Here’s how to avoid it: When the rotation is about to end, be sure you reach a “save spot.”  If Ty sends you back to the Zone Menu (like in parts of the Word Zone), that’s a “save spot.”  BUT, in the Spelling Zone, you have to complete ALL of those lists of 10 words to save.  So, don’t wait until the last minute to start them!  Hope that makes sense.  

I started without computers and it took two months to get ours up and running.  The district recommended assigning the kids to level 1 or 2 books. That did not go over well with the kids. I wish I had thought of using the Audio books.  It would have made things so much easier!!!!! Great Idea!  I will remember it for next year-Just in case.  The district is dong so much rearranging I don't even know what building I will be in!

I think I will borrow your wonderful idea of the RC ticket as well.  A formalized system rather than just an "okay" from the teacher is better.  Thanks for the tip!

Be sure your kids are reaching a "Save Spot" in both the Word and Spelling zones. Spelling and Word Zones have Save Spots.  Kids have to get to a progress graph or be automatically sent to the Zone Menu.   If not, the session doesn't count.  I had kids stuck in spelling and word zone for weeks at a time.

AskDee

I, too, will remember the idea of using the audiobooks. I get questions about what to do without computers at the beginning frequently at the beginning of the year.  That is a great idea!

Its ok to supplement the workshops with items that will help the kids relate to the workshop topic.  Our training really focused on following the instructional model.  I was afraid to add anything to the program.  Sometimes you need to in order to "Hook the Student."  I think it is super important to remember to have fun with the program  Love what you do and do what you love.  The kids will feel it and want to succeed.  Get active in the community!  Everyone there is so supportive!  Having a problem?  There is always someone who can identify with it and offer advice.

AskDee

In the earlier discussion about the Save Spot, some people may misunderstand what needs to be done in order to save.  I asked to have it explained to me again: In the Spelling Zone: In the Spelling Assessment, the student’s progress is saved after every 10 words.  They do not have to complete an entire session in the Spelling Zone in order for it to count. In the Spelling Challenge, they must complete the entire Spelling Challenge to get credit for it.  If a student exits in the middle of the Spelling Challenge, their progress will not be saved and they must start over the next time they return to the Spelling Zone. In the Word Zone: In the Word Assessment, the student’s progress is saved once they receive their 5 Study Words.  They do not have to complete an entire session in the Word Zone in order for it to count, as long as they receive their 5 Study Words, their progress will be saved. In the Word Challenge, they must complete the entire Word Challenge to get credit for it.  If a student exits in the middle of the Word Challenge, their progress will not be saved and they must start over the next time they return to the Word Zone. Dee

Jodie, I love love love the ticket idea.  I am keeping a notebook of all the great suggestions.

AskDee

The N/A means that there is not data there.  It depends on where it is in the report and the timeframe for the report.  If you run the report soon after the beginning of a grading period, you will have more N/As.  N/As in the Final Fluency  Recording means that the teacher has not listened to any of the recordings yet.  N/As in the Whole and Small Group are there because most teachers do not use the Grading Tools to add grades to the software. Dee

Ride the ferry to New Orleans, ride the streetcar to zoo, Audubon Zoo PRICELESS

I also wish that we had not felt so rushed through the tech portion. I would have liked to experience it like the kids do. I still don't know everything about it. Steph

AskDee

Usually, more tips and tricks about the software are shared in the second day of training.  The first day of training is so packed that we assume that we need to make it possible for teachers to start the program and not overwhelm them with software ins and outs.  Most teachers are ready for detailed information on the second day of training.  If you are a new teacher, don't miss that second day of training that occurs a few weeks after READ 180 begins. Dee

I wish I had known more about the software - in fact I still wish I understood it better. During our training, we were rushed through the technology part and truthfully I don't think the sales rep knew much about it. I've talked to one rep on the phone who was unable to answer my questions, but found one last summer who was really helpful. She stayed on the phone with me for an hour - the main thing I learned was that I had worked all year with software that was supposed to have been updated. There were still some things she couldn't answer but I did get my software updated. I would like to know how you guys found out about the save spots - where did you hear about that? And did anyone ever find out why N/A means on the grade report?? Thank goodness for this message board - but I have to wonder why these things aren't addressed in the training and/or the implementation materials.

Try to incorporate as much of the READ 180 materials as possilbe. Pick a new thing each week, couple of weeks, or month and see how well it works.

My tech created a student account for me so I can go into the software as a student and get more familiar with what they need to do.

To Dee Wiecher who previously posted this: The N/A means that there is not data there. It depends on where it is in the report and the timeframe for the report. If you run the report soon after the beginning of a grading period, you will have more N/As. N/As in the Final Fluency Recording means that the teacher has not listened to any of the recordings yet. N/As in the Whole and Small Group are there because most teachers do not use the Grading Tools to add grades to the software. Dee Posted 3 Years and 8 Months ago - See more at: http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/discussion/295005/tips-for-new-read-180-teachers#sthash.k69rOUd4.dpuf" I really wanted to add my anecdotal /participation / manually grades grades to the software but never did figure out how.. finally decided it wasn't possible. I can look at grading tools again but any tips or direction would be appreciated.

To Dee Wiecher who previously posted this: The N/A means that there is not data there. It depends on where it is in the report and the timeframe for the report. If you run the report soon after the beginning of a grading period, you will have more N/As. N/As in the Final Fluency Recording means that the teacher has not listened to any of the recordings yet. N/As in the Whole and Small Group are there because most teachers do not use the Grading Tools to add grades to the software. Dee Posted 3 Years and 8 Months ago - See more at: http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/discussion/295005/tips-for-new-read-180-teachers#sthash.k69rOUd4.dpuf" I really wanted to add my anecdotal /participation / manually grades grades to the software but never did figure out how.. finally decided it wasn't possible. I can look at grading tools again but any tips or direction would be appreciated.

Where can I find the RC tickets? Also, we don't have audio capabilities (we have chrome books and they don't have cd/DVD drives). Can students access audio books online?

I use a "class iPod" for audio books! We don't have CD drives in our laptops either, so 1st we use the iPod...then we use the class CD players with headphones. It works when needed. Generally when we are in rotations there is only 1 student per rotation using an audiobook, so they get dibs on the iPod.

I have six new iPods and I need to load audio books on them. Is there an easy way to do this? Thank you!

I wish I would have known that when logging into software that if a student doesn't look at the top of the screen and see THEIR school name, they will not be able to get into do software. Students need to be shown where to find this or they may have trouble getting in to work in software. Also, when a student meets the requirements on one level they are moved to the next level. When I record where students are each 9 weeks, I record the total number of segments completed. So, if a student completes the first section at level 2 and their scores show they can move on to the next level, their completed segments will change back to zero. You have to look at the ALL DATES column to see how many they have completed. So it is like "graduating" to the next level. Took me a while to figure that out and it caused me a lot of stress!

I'm also a 1st year teacher for Read 180. My training was 1/2 day and it was so fast I am totally lost. How do I assign tests, books, etc to students? Some students can't even see a dashboard and need a teacher to assign things for them. When should students take a reading counts quiz? How do they get to that? Where can I get book quizzes? I would like to have some personal help so if anyone reads this close to zip code 30127, please reach out. sheila.elkins@cobbk12.org.

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next