Discussion
SuzannePuccerella
READ 180 Feedback!

Hello everyone!

If you have anything on your READ 180 "wish list", please let me know!

Thanks!

SuzanneLaughing

Posted on: August 07 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
24 Comments
  • SuzannePuccerella

Yes, all kinds of requests can be posted here. I will check with the Scholastic Reading Counts! Manager to see if what you are requesting already exists, if not, I will ask that it be put on the product wish list as we move forward. Thank you for the feedback!

AskDee

I thought Debbie would like to know that she can download an Excel file of the quizzes at http://edproductsupport.scholastic.com/ts/product/src/.  It isn't in SAM, which would be more convenient to have it all in the same place, but at least she can get the list of the quizzes provided by Scholastic.

Hi Suzanne, My school subscribes to the annual quiz subscription and currently I have over 45,000 quizzes in SAM. My READ 180 library has about 300 titles, and I continue to add more titles each year. I would love to be able to download a list of the quizzes in SAM in Excel. Currently, I can only access that list via a pdf. In Excel, I could manipulate the list to make it easier to "find" more titles to add to my library. In the pdf form, the list is so massive and so many pages that it is impossible to print, much less narrow it down with a minimum of time involved. Is this what you mean by "Wish List"? Debbie

Thank you, Dee, I will try that. Debbie I just read your resource for accountability in independent reading. I like your ideas, as well as the page count per-day requirement. I require my students to read a specific number of points in books per marking period. MP1: 10 points, MP's 2-4: 15 points each. Any points over those become extra credit. In addition, as you mentioned the audiobooks take longer, so I double the points on the audiobooks. Students can take all my books home (and should) to read, or make-up reading from absences. However, audiobooks have to remain in the classroom (students can make-up absences during study halls or after school).

I have been looking for more crates and dividers, too. I would love to be able to get my hands on the list of titles, the Graphic Organizers and Quickwrites for the other stages. Occassionally I run across them in SAM and I quickly print them off and file them away! I love the GO and QW but feel like I am using so much paper.  I wish they were each only the size of a half sheet of paper and published as one reproducable. The reader could writetheir answers on the back. I try to "shrink" them, but it is so time consuming to do it.   

I would also be interested in purchasing crates and dividers. Also, I'd love to have large posters about specific books and/or DVD commercials for the titles. A line graph in SAM that would show the total number of words read for each class would be super cool. This may be way off base, but I also think that Scholastic should have a contest, lottery, or something to award one teacher from each Stage a FREE TRIP to the National Conference. ;)

AskDee

The alternate screen color and the language support is available for individual students and does not have to be set the same for the entire class.  Just double click on the student's name in the SmartBar that you want the special feature for.  In the Roster screen, select READ 180 Settings.  You can then set the alternate screen color or the language support for the individual student.

profile photo

I would love to know the specific criteria for all stars. I nominate every year and when I read about some of the "winners", I feel as if my nominations are as qualified if not more so. What determines which becomes a winner? Is it the application, the student statement? or something else? Thanks

mstee1220

I WANT MORE CRATES AND DIVIDERS! We have been searching for more crates and dividers to manage our growing class library. Does anyone know how or where to obtain these??

SuzannePuccerella

If you want to see what titles are in the READ 180 program for other stages, check out our the program overview section and check out the student materials section- http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/read180/overview/. Also on the Shop READ 180 tab to see what titles are in the Xtra collections. As for crates and dividers, we do not currently sell them separately - have they broken? Or are you just looking for more to support your library? If you know your Scholastic Account Executive, you can ask them, or email customer support. Thanks! Suzanne

AskDee

There is a "contest" to award a trip to NSI to one teacher from each stage and System 44.  The winners of the Outstanding Educator Awards are given those as prizes.  You can find out about it at http://educatorcommunity.scholastic.com/service/openCustomPage.kickAction?as=104512&myParam=honorsOne&bodyClass=honors%20honorsHome&title=Honors%20and%20Awards%20Home While you are there, you could check out the READ 180 All Stars.  Deadlines March 15, 2010.    

I would love a way to block students from "zone surfing", what happens is Ty directs the student to the zone they have been avoiding, and they have to click it (which is great to make sure they do some work in each zone every day), but the students quickly found out that if you click into the zone and then immediately click "zone menu" it takes you back to the beginning and now all of the zones are open again.  Could there be a required amount of time in a zone before the others are unlocked?   Also, a way to limit certain students from recording their passage too many times in the reading zone would be great.  I have a child with OCD tendencies and he will record 10 or more times until it is perfect to him.  Its hard in a busy room to catch him and force him to move on.  If this could be an option to select  like the alternate screen color or language assistance - not for all but only if necessary.   Thanks!!   ashley

SuzannePuccerella

Gargage Sale Diva - Scholastic does have a contest that includes a free trip to NSI - it is the Outstanding Educator award. It is up for this year, but we will have the contest again next year starting in January. Thanks

SuzannePuccerella

Ashley - We are making improvements to help support stopping Zone avoidance. I will put in your request for limiting the # of time students can record in the reading zone. thanks

pmullane: Thank you for nominating your students for the 2010 Scholastic All-Star Awards. It was a nearly impossible task to choose only twelve students from over 400 outstanding applicants.  Nominations are reviewed on a 12-point maximum score, based on a maximum of 4 points awarded for how effectively the respective Statement conveys each of the following: (a) The student's determination to sustain improvement and effort to continue to raise achievement levels; (b) Student's exceptional nature and academic performance in the READ 180 and/or System 44 programs; (c) Student's growth in areas outside academics related to participation in the READ 180 and/or System 44 Programs.  Unfortunately, we could not choose every student as an All-Star winner, but please know that we believe your students are truly outstanding for the improvements they have made in reading.  Thank you for your continued commitment to helping your students!

pmullane: Thank you for nominating your students for the 2010 Scholastic All-Star Awards. It was a nearly impossible task to choose only twelve students from over 400 outstanding applicants.  Nominations are reviewed on a 12-point maximum score, based on a maximum of 4 points awarded for how effectively the respective Statement conveys each of the following: (a) The student's determination to sustain improvement and effort to continue to raise achievement levels; (b) Student's exceptional nature and academic performance in the READ 180 and/or System 44 programs; (c) Student's growth in areas outside academics related to participation in the READ 180 and/or System 44 Programs.  Unfortunately, we could not choose every student as an All-Star winner, but please know that we believe your students are truly outstanding for the improvements they have made in reading.  Thank you for your continued commitment to helping your students!

I loved the  the rBook only for Workshop 1 that was distributed during the original training. I used it in training and then in class too  It was so easy to work with.  I wish each workshop had one.  I love the full TE rbook, but it would be great to have the smaller book for each workshop. 

SuzannePuccerella

Hey Jodieo! Thanks for the feedback! That is the first time I have heard that request for the TE! One of the reasons we came oout with the Interactive Teaching System for READ 180, was to make it easier to access the rBook Workshops from home without having to carry the entire TE. I will keep your wish on file...but cannot promise that we will do that. It is hard to manage the creation of that many different books (since we have 5 TEs 9 Workshops each) with everything that goes into the entire TE (RED pages, handbooks, etc). It is also a bit of a logisical issue with the number of components that ship with READ 180. But, I will make sure the idea gets heard. Thanks! And keep the wishes coming!

SuzannePuccerella

Hey Ashley - we are working on your request now! There are a few things that we can do to the Software that will help stop zone avoidance, that will be in the next edition of READ 180! Thanks

When printing out book quizzes, it would be very helpful to have the ability to print all the questions in chronological order AND/OR to print just a study guide with the questions only and not the multiple choice answers. It would be nice to have the students answer the questions as part of their reading log and would increase their comprehension; however, unless the questions can be printed as an optional chronological order, it is too difficult for many struggling readers to use as a study guide. Adding a "Print questions in chronological order" or "Print study guide" (in chronological order) option would be an awesome addition! In addition, when we reply to a message board discussion, the only posting that shows is the 1st made to start the discussion; however, the discussion often evolves as other members post responses.  But when we click to reply to the discussion, the only post we can see is the 1st.  It would be nice to see them all so we can refer back as the response is often to the last 2-3 postings made.  (I hope I am making sense!) Debbie

Since technology doesn't always get to every school, and because enrollment at the beginning of every year is often different from our SIS lists, I often have to manually add many students into SAM in order to SRI test these students.  SAM only allows for manual entry of one student at a time.  It would be wonderful to be able to type in a list of students, then make them a class and click on which programs to enable fo each.

I love the students' rbook, and having a smaller version of it would be nice.  The graphic organizers and sentence starters are great tools for helping students organize their paragraphs not only in READ 180, but also in their academic classes.  I would like to see a space for additional elaboration for details in the second, third, and fourth sentence starter boxes for the details.  Students sometimes think that they only have to write five sentences for their paragraphs because they filled in the five boxes, however, I tell them that they are required to add additional elaboration for each of their details.  For now, my students draw an extra box under each detail so they can provide more information.  When they write their BCR, they are expected to write eight or more sentences.  The rbook is a great educational resource for students.  Thanks.

When printing out book quizzes, it would be very helpful to have the ability to print all the questions in chronological order AND/OR to print just a study guide with the questions only and not the multiple choice answers. It would be nice to have the students answer the questions as part of their reading log and would increase their comprehension; however, unless the questions can be printed as an optional chronological order, it is too difficult for many struggling readers to use as a study guide. Adding a "Print questions in chronological order" or "Print study guide" (in chronological order) option would be an awesome addition! Debbie

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next