Discussion
A tip from a Master READ 180 teacher on setting up your classroom.

Visualize setting up your classroom with a clear line for movement from one station to the next. Make sure students will be able to follow a circle. Next, set up your computer center, as much of this process is dependent upon the location of plugs, drops, etc. Once the computer center is established, if possible, place the reading center in the opposite corner across the room because the computers will have some instructional noise and may disturb the students’ independent reading. Finally, now that you have two of the points established, look at placing your small group at the top of the triangle and make sure your position is where you will be able to observe both the computer and reading centers from small-group.

Looking for more tips?  Ask our Master Teacher or post a question on this message board!

Posted on: August 03 2009
Flag this discussion
Share:
15 Comments
  • You are so right.  I was very nervous to be teaching read 180 because of the 3 groups of students.  But with the proper set up with students being able to see you and you being able to see the students, things flow better than anticipated. So far so good this year.  Its been exciting, exhausting, and inspiring this year!! 

AskDee

With the exception of the students at the computers, the other students in the room need to "face my face."  In other words, you must be able to see all the students' faces when they are in independent reading and small group.  You should be able to see all the computer screens, too.

Hello, I taught Read 180 in FL but now I am teaching in NJ. I am trying to get my new school to get Read 180. I know in the teachers manual for the program there is a picture of how the classroom is supposed to be set up. Can anyone scan that and post it so I can print it to show it to my principal. She likes the idea of Read 180 but thinks the class can be done in a computer lab. I want her to see that I would need a classroom and cannot bring or send my students to a lab. If anyone can scan it and PDF it to me heres my email sarahmrios@hotmail.com Thanks! Sarah

Hi. A sample of how a read 180 classroom set-up is in the resource library here: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=551 You can also see how various teachers set up their class in the media section of the community site. Click search and enter the search term: classroom Hope that helps! john

I agree that a computer lab settle is not ideal;  you need to see the students at every station - just like AskDee posted.  If students don't know that you are watching them, they may get off task 

chrisSLEMS

I've experimented with classroom set-up a couple of years and I still come back to the computer bank against the wall, Small group table set back but between the computers and Indepenent Reading and Library area. I can see all the computers, teach my small group and call my IR kids up for conferences all from within 15 ft! I especially like the ease of transition between the groups in the rotation.

chrisSLEMS

Re-teaching procedures after every break has been a focus of mine for years. For some classes it is a reminder of how successful we have been in the past following them, for others it really is a re-teach! No Surprises is a must in trust building, expectations, and management in my classroom. I agree with Jodie that having everything available for them makes their lives (and mine) in class more focused and productive.

AskDee

The students sometimes need those mid-year practice sessions just to remind them of how the procedures work.  You are right when you say practice, practice, practice.

When setting up a classroom my foremost thought is to make it easy for the kids to succeed. Things that the kids use everyday need to be within reach and labeled. If there are procedures you want the kids to learn quickly-practice, practice, practice. No matter what age you teach you want to be able to see the kids at all times. Having a wall made from bookshelves might sound good, but do you want the kids being out of sight while you are teaching small group? Be flexible, if something does not work change it, rearrange carefully, and evaluate the success of the placement of materials and groups.

My small group table is set up so that I face the Ind Reading Area.  I can see what students are doing in the area while teaching and interacting in the SM area.  Without too much disruption, I can get the attention of readers who are not on task. 

AskDee

One "trick" is to check the reading every day. The first activity when students come to Small Group is you check the Reading Log.  Depending upon the group, you may have students complete the Reading Log the first thing when they come to Small Group.  Another "trick" is to demand a certain number of pages read every day.  Take a look at the document on accountability in Independent Reading located at http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=295.

Ride the ferry to New Orleans, ride the streetcar to zoo, Audubon Zoo PRICELESS

My students are 2 or more years behind and have so many issues, this year I tried the cute reading center and they would sleep or play and these guys are 13 or 14. I think next year I will introduce the center after they learn the rotations. I am open for suggestions. I had such a hard time getting them to finish a book and take the test.

Girlsunshine2011

Hello Everyone,   I am new to the program and I understand that I need to display the Read180 posters or at least items that relate to the program. Can anyone tell me where I could find things like the rotation schedule, the lexile levels (and the sticker colors for each lexile) and anything else that might be helpful? Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the community and the READ 180 Program. The READ 180 rotation poster comes in an envelope with the classroom materials.  There are also posters of the program books, and a Lexile Poster.  I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mentioned sticker colors for each Lexile. Could you explain that in more detail? Some community members have also posted classroom signs in the Resource Library - check these out: http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=842 http://educatorresources.scholastic.com/index.php?tab=view_published&resourceId=1967 You can see some of the posters I have purchased/created in pictures of my classroom in Media (above).  Just search for dleeohs.  About half-way down my Stage C Blog, you can also see my computer bulletin board with a computer rules poster and Lexile Goals by grade, which I adapted from another member's resource several years ago. I hope these help. Debbie

AskDee

If your school has misplaced the posters, email me at askdee@sbcglobal.net.  I'll let you know the information you need to order them. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next