Discussion
Vision Impaired Student

I have a vision impaired student in my class.  The spped/timed challengesin software are giving him fits.  His eyes can't focus fast enough for him to find the words on the computer screen. 

What are the options to assist him?  I wish I could slow the program down on that portion. 

•  

Slowing Down the Program

There is no way to slow the program down, but there are some things you can do to help the student.

1. For the Word Zone, I suggest to students that they read every word in the list before responding.  The program works on consistency of time of response, not on speed of response.  In other words, if the student spots the word at the top of the list, the student should read all the words in the list of words before responding.
    2. For the Spelling Zone, I suggest that you give the student the current study words after each day on the software.  You can find them in the Student Spelling Zone Report.
    3. Sometimes it helps some students to see the Student Spelling Zone Report and/or Student Word Zone Report once or twice a week, along with a printout of the current passage the student is reading.  Every word in the passage is a possible spelling word.  Every word in the passage must be mastered in the Word Zone.  Having a printed copy of the passage, especially if you can increase its size using a copy machine, may help your student become more familiar with individual words.  You could give the student some word study games to do, such as circling the study words or marking out the words that have already been mastered.

Some other teachers may have ideas for you as well.  You might want to repost your question on the Stage A, B, or C Message Board to see if other teachers have ideas as well.
    Dee

Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Posted on: November 01 2013
Flag this discussion
Share:
1 Comments
  • Hi--I'm not sure if a screen magnifier is an option, but they do have different types, so that might be a possibility. There are software programs that have a magnifier that can be moved around the screen with the mouse, and then there are actual screens that fit over the computer monitor, making the whole screen magnified. They can be a bit pricey but if the family wanted to buy it for their child, I'm sure they would get lots of use out of it. Of course it can be used for reading regular books, using textbooks, worksheets, etc. as well. Maybe the Child Study Team has funds for something like this. One company MAGic Screen has many different options, but I have never used any of their products so I'm not sure of their quality--I just saw they have a lot! Another idea is to have the image projected onto a screen or SmartBoard, but of course that wouldn't be ideal, unless you had a small resource class maybe. Lastly, if you live in a state that has a Library for the Visually Impaired, they might have something that they can offer--they have lots of books on tape and other materials to provide for people with visual impairments. I remember several years ago a young lady at my school had some kind of magnifier on her wheelchair tray that was borrowed from the library here in NJ. Anyway, good luck to you and kudos for trying to find a way to help your student :)

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next