Discussion
SPED Requirements by State

I have a question that I hope all the SPED teachers of READ 180 or SYSTEM 44 can help me with.  I live in New Jersey where, by law, if any of my classes have 9 or more students on roll, the school must provide me with a para/teacher assistant.  

What state do you teach in?

What is your state's class size requirement for assigning a paraprofessional/teacher assistant in the SPED class rooms?

Posted on: October 02 2013
Flag this discussion
Share:
1 Comments
  • AskDee

Directly out of the Missouri Guideliines:   It is the responsibility of this agency to assign students to classes and monitor student/teacher ratios for class size and caseload to ensure that there are adequate staff and that staff have adequate time to provide for the implementation of the IEP of each identified student with a disability.    In other words, in Missouri there are no specific requirements. It would be better if there were.  Individual school districts get to set their own guidelines.  The early childhood special education guidelines are very specific, however. Dee Ask Dee at the READ 180 Community

Featured Discussions
    Tips for New READ 180 Teachers
    Think back to your first year teaching READ 180.  What is the one thing that you wish you knew then that you know now?
    Motivating Students on Software
    My students are in the early stages of System 44.  Most of them started at Series 1 and have worked their way into Series 3.  Over the course of time, some of them are…
    Assessment & Data
    Discussions from colleagues on using key implementation and student performance metrics to drive instruction.
    Classroom Instruction
    Discussions from colleagues on implementing clear organization for instruction and classroom activity, and maintaining student engagement.
    Professional Development
    Discussions from colleagues on fostering and sustaining best teaching practices in the reading intervention classroom.
    Special Education
    Discussions from colleagues on targeting the specific skill deficits and unique instructional needs of a Special Education student.
    Technology
    Discussions from colleagues on using the READ 180 technology components to provide intensive, individualized instruction.
    System 44
    Discussions from colleagues on maximizing System 44 instruction to help students master foundational reading skills.
    Prev
    Next