About the Awards
Each year, we ask educators to nominate their students to recognize their dedication and achievements inside and outside the classroom. In previous years, more than $25,000 dollars has been awarded to outstanding READ 180, MATH 180, and System 44 students and their teachers.
The prizes for students are $500 for each winner and $100 for each finalist who does not win. The nominating educators of each READ 180 and/or System 44 winner will receive free READ 180 and/or System 44 materials worth $1,000 in retail value for their school or district. The nominating educators of each MATH 180 winner will receive a $1,000 gift certificate to be used for professional development publications from Math Solutions.
Student Awards FAQs
Click a question below to see the answer or download the Terms and Conditions for all rules and restrictions.
The deadline for the qualifying round is March 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST. The deadline for the finalist round is March 30, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Submit a completed Nomination Packet online: http://www.hmhco.com/180awards.
Your Nomination Packet for the Qualifying Round must include:
- Nomination Form
- Nominating Educator’s response to the following question:
In 300 words or less, please tell your student’s success story. This may describe a moment where the student experienced a distinct turning point in academic progress, unique obstacles the student has overcome, newly realized goals for the future, or any information that you believe supports the student’s exceptional dedication to continuous improvement and academic growth.
Remember, the more descriptive you are, the more we will understand about your student.
If your student is selected to compete in the Finalist Round, you will be notified no later than March 12, 2018.
Each Finalist must submit an Entry in video format.
ALL Finalist Entries must include:
- Nominated Student’s release form
- A photograph of the Nominated Student
- Data submitted by Nominating Educator to verify student’s exceptional improvement, as measured by The HMH Reading Inventory, The HMH Phonics Inventory, or The HMH Math Inventory.
All submissions of Video Entries must meet the following requirements:
1. Include a statement from the Nominating Educator and/or administrator responding to the following questions:
- In what ways has the Nominated Student shown determination to sustain improvement and effort to continue to raise achievement levels?
- Describe any challenges the Nominated Student faces beyond struggling with academics, including any additional anecdotal information, and how the student has overcome, or is making the effort to overcome, these obstacles.
- Describe the Nominated Student’s growth in areas outside academics related to participation in the READ 180, MATH 180 and/or System 44 Programs (aspirations for the future, development of goals, leadership roles, or peer support)
2.Include a statement from the Nominated Student addressing the following:
- How his/her mindset towards reading or math (depending on software used) has changed.
- Name a specific time your reading or math skills have helped you succeed.
- What are some of your goals for the future?
3.Video must meet the following Technical Requirements:
- Be approximately one (1) minute in length and not exceed three (3) minutes
- Contain only original music (if any music is used.) Entries may not contain any non-original music.
- Video must include sound and be done in English
- Video must include a shot of READ 180, MATH 180 or System 44 product or logos.
- Be one of the following video file formats: MPEG4; .MOV; .WMV; .FLV
- Video file size limit: 500MB
4.The submission must include (separate from the video):
- A photograph of the Nominated Student.
- Data submitted by teacher, principal, or technology administrator on student’s performance, verifying that the Nominated Student has demonstrated significant reading or math improvement.
- If the Nominated Student is nominated for a READ 180 or System 44 award, data measured by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reading Inventory or Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Phonics Inventory should be submitted.
- If the Nominated Student is nominated for a MATH 180 award, data measured by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Math Inventory or another math assessment measurement should be submitted.
5. Include a Release Form* signed by:
- The Nominating Educator;
- The Nominated Student and their parent/guardian
- A parent/guardian of the Nominated Student;
- Anyone who appears (name, image, likeness, voice or comments) in the Video. Please note: If statements by students are submitted, or students appear in the Video, each student’s parent or guardian must sign a release.
*All release forms must be submitted with the Entry.
6. Additional Submission Requirements:
- All entries must be the original work of the Nominating Educator and Nominated Student, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
- May not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about other people of companies;
- May not contain trademarks, logos or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others, or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission; the only permissible logos to include are those of READ 180, MATH 180 and System 44.
- May not contain copyrighted materials owned by others (including music, photographs, sculptures, paintings and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media);
- May not contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without a written consent being submitted to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt with the Entry;
- Must communicate positive images and messaging.
As many as you want! However, you must submit one nomination form and educator statement per student and each student can only be nominated ONCE.
No, educators must select whether to nominate the student for READ 180 OR System 44. If the student is in a READ 180/System 44 combination class, please nominate the student for the program based off the software they are using in the Software Rotation.
Membership to the READ 180 Community is not required to submit a student nomination.
Qualifying Round: Judges will review the Nomination Packet and assign a score to each Nomination Packet based on how effectively the Nominating Educator’s Statement conveys the Nominated Student’s exceptional success story.
Finalist Round: Judges shall review each Finalist Entry and assign a 12-point maximum score, based on a maximum of 4 points in each category:
(a) The student’s determination to sustain improvement and effort to continue to raise achievement levels;
(b) Student’s exceptional nature and academic performance in the READ 180, MATH 180 and/or System 44 programs;
(c) Student’s growth in areas outside academics related to participation in the READ 180, MATH 180 and/or System 44 Programs.
No additional points or favor will be awarded to a particular Entry format. Video Entries will be judged solely on content and not technical merit.
Yes, release forms are required during the Finalist Round only. Each Finalist Entry must include a Student’s Signed Letter of Parental Consent. All Finalists who submit a Video Entry must include additional release forms from all individuals who appear in the video submission.
Student winners will be announced in May 2018.
Contact us! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org