About the Awards
Each year, we ask educators to nominate their colleagues to recognize their dedication and achievements inside and outside the classroom. In previous years, more than $25,000 dollars has been awarded to outstanding READ 180, Math 180, and System 44 students and their teachers.
The prizes for educators are: an invitation to attend the 2018 National Summer Institute or Math Summer Institute as an honorary guest (approximate retail value of $1400) and one classroom book set worth up to $300. The nominator of each winning READ 180 and System 44 educator will receive one READ 180 paperback library for their classroom (worth up to $599.00). The nominator of each winning MATH 180 educator will be given a gift certificate of $1,000 for professional development publications from Math Solutions.
Nominate an Educator
Simply fill out the fields below to complete our easy, three-step nomination process. Nominations will be accepted until March 2, 2018
To read the Terms and Conditions, click here.
Educator Award FAQs
Click a question below to see the answer or download the 180 Awards Terms and Conditions for all rules and restrictions.
The deadline for the Qualifying Round is March 2, 2018.
If selected for the Finalist Round, the deadline is March 30, 2018.
Submit a completed Nomination Packet online: http://educatorcommunity.hmhco.com/educator-awards.
Your Nomination Packet for the Qualifying Round must include:
- Nomination Form
Nominator’s response to the following question:
In 300 words or less, please describe your Outstanding Educator nominee’s exceptional commitment to improving the lives of struggling learners. This may include information about how your educator is constantly innovating and differentiating instruction, a moment where you observed the educator going above and beyond the call of duty, or any information that you believe supports your nominee’s dedication to helping the students that need it the most.
If your educator is selected to compete in the Finalist Round, you will be notified no later than March 12, 2018.
Each Finalist must submit an Entry in video format.
Finalist Round: Video Entry Submission Requirements Checklist
All submissions of Video Entries must meet the following requirements:
1. Include a statement from the Nominee.
Illustrate how the Nominee possesses the qualities of an Outstanding Educator including:
- How the Nominee demonstrates an extraordinary commitment to helping READ 180, MATH 180 and/or System 44 students grow personally and academically by attaining the literacy (or math) skills needed to succeed in school and in life.
- How the Nominee is a champion of technology and innovation, utilizing data to continuously modify instruction to meet the complex needs of struggling learners.
- How the Nominee requires excellence at all times, inspiring students to see beyond the borders of the classroom and continue to improve their reading achievement to reach their goals.
2.Include a statement from the Nominee’s Student(s).
About a moment when the Nominee had a significant impact on the student(s)
Example: a time where everything “clicked” due to the Nominee’s help, a moment where the Nominee inspired his/her students to further pursue a subject that they studied in READ 180, MATH 180 or System 44 etc.
3. Video must meet the following Technical Requirements.
- Be approximately one (1) minute in length and not exceed three (3) minutes.
- Contain only original music (if any music is used.) Entries may not contain any non-original music.
- Video must include sound and be done in English
- Video must include a shot of READ 180, MATH 180 or System 44 product or logos.
- Be one of the following video file formats: MPEG4; .MOV; .WMV; .FLV
- Video file size limit: 500MB
5.Include Student Data (separate from video).
Verifying that at least 3-5 of the Nominee’s students have demonstrated significant reading or math improvement
- Do not use student’s names or other personal information about the students.
- If the Nominated Educator is nominated for a READ 180 or System 44 award, student data measured by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reading Inventory or Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Phonics Inventory should be submitted.
- If the Nominated Educator is nominated for a MATH 180 award, student data measured by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Math Inventory or another math assessment measurement should be submitted.
6. Include District Approval Form.
Signed by a district official confirming the Nominee has the District’s approval to accept the Grand Prize should it be awarded to him/her.
7. Include a Release Form* signed by
- the Nominee
- Anyone who appears (name, image, likeness, voice or comments) in the Video.
- The student(s) who appear in the video, and each student’s parent/guardian
*All release forms must be submitted with the Entry.
7. Additional Submission Requirements
- All entries must be the original work of the Nominee, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
- May not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- May not contain trademarks, logos or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others, or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission; the only permissible logos to include are those of READ 180, MATH 180 and System 44.
- May not contain copyrighted materials owned by others (including music, photographs, sculptures, paintings and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media);
- May not contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without a written consent being submitted to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt with the Entry;
- Must communicate positive images and messaging.
One or more nominations may be submitted per teacher, principal, or other school/technology administrator as applicable. However, educators may only be nominated for one of the HMH Intervention Programs, either READ 180, MATH 180 or System 44. They may not be nominated for all three.
As many as you want! However, you must submit one Nomination Packet per educator and each educator can only be nominated ONCE.
No, you must select whether to nominate the educator for READ 180 OR System 44.
Qualifying Round: Judges will review the Nomination Packets and assign a score to each Nomination Packet based on how effectively the Nominator’s statement conveys the Nominee’s exceptional commitment to improving the lives of struggling learners.
Finalist Round: Judges will review the Nominees’ entries and assign a 12-point maximum score, based on a maximum of 4 points in each category:
- Innovation in the Classroom
- Student Success
No additional points or favor will be awarded to a particular Entry format. Video Entries will be judged solely on content and not technical merit.
Yes, release forms are required for all student participants. All Finalists who submit a Video Entry must include additional release forms from all individuals who appear in the video submission.
Educator winners will be announced by May 2018.
Contact us! Email: email@example.com